[1.5] system.log chattiness in Yosemite

Asepsis’ changes to DesktopServicesPriv.framework are causing a bit (ok, a lot) of chattiness in system.log. Every 15 seconds, a message similar to the below appears in the console. Does anyone know if there’s anything that can be done about it from the end user’s side of things?

Thanks

edit: Note that while the below entries reference iWork apps, the log entries as a whole cover much more

Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Conflicts exist in System services. Randomly choosing between:
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService32.xpc
	and
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Conflicts exist in System services. Randomly choosing between:
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService64.xpc
	and
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService64.xpc
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32.xpc
	and
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32.xpc
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService64.xpc
	and
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService64.xpc
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService32.xpc
	and
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService32.xpc
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService64.xpc
	and
	/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService64.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Failed to bootstrap path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService64.xpc
	error: 130: The system encountered a condition where behavior was undefined
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Failed to bootstrap path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Failed to bootstrap path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService64.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Failed to bootstrap path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Failed to bootstrap path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService64.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Failed to bootstrap path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService32
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService32.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService64
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService64.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService64.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService64
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService64.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService64.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService32
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService32.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService64
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService64.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService64.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService32
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService32.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService64
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService64.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.KeynoteConverterXPCService64.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService64
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService64.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService64.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService32
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService32.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService32.xpc
Aug  6 05:14:15 Castle com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.automount.568): Attempt to re-bootstrap service from different path, will use existing: com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService64
	existing path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService64.xpc
	conflicting path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.PagesConverterXPCService64.xpc
2 Likes

aha, interesting. I have to investigate that problem.

Any news in this area?

Still didn’t find time to look at it :frowning:

It’s been several more months, what is the status of this? Ignoring this problem for eight months really isn’t providing very good support.

I’m running Asepsis 1.5 on OS X 10.10.2. The “asepsisctl diagnose” command says the installation is OK.

I just discovered this problem as well. I wouldn’t have guessed it was Asepsis causing the problem though, just from looking at the console messages. (I would have once I looked at the directory, though; see below.)

My /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Versions directory has several subdirectories in it:
A
A_
A_Backup
A_Backup_Panic
A_Backup_Panic_
A_Backup_Panic_
A_Backup_Panic_
Current (Alias to the A directory)

It also has a file asepsis-1.4, which shows as zero bytes.
The console messages are all about being confused between A and A_ and picking one at random.

Several questions.

1. Why the asepsis-1.4 file in the directory when it’s version 1.5 that’s installed? Should that file be there at all? (If so, I would have expected to see a 1.5 file there, not 1.4.)
  2. Why all the directories? Are they all needed? Are they all supposed to be there?
  3. What needs to be done to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help!

I don’t have all the details in my head right now. Haven’t touched the project for many months.

All the files seem to be correct. The empty asepsis-1.4 file is just a marker for uninstaller to know what version was installed (there are differences between asepsis versions).

Asepsis is free of course, so complaining about how much time has gone by is silly in the face of supporting the apps that people are actually paying for. I’d like this fixed too, but put it in perspective, vr8ce.

I’m about to release Asepsis 1.5.1, unfortunately it won’t address this issue, because I have not done enough testing.

I think simple solution to prevent chattiness is to delete this folder:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices

launchd is confused because the same XPCServices are present in both:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices

I don’t know which one is better to delete. I’m not familiar with launchd and XPCServices enough to tell right now.

Hey darwin,

The issue is causes by the installation of the asepsis wrapper. It creates the _A folder and the subsequent backup folders, and then it re-signs the framework. (The original Framework contains only the A folder and the current symlink).

Just make a backup of the original DesktopServicesPriv.framework in another location (Application Support folder) instead of saving a version in the same place that confuses OSX.

Deleting _A or A will brick your system.

Workaround: Delete A and create a symlink named A that points to A_. Note that on uninstall this will brick your system if you don’t restore the original framework first.

Zeno.

I noticed the excess xpc entries in the system logs too and after some searching I’ve ended up here.

I’ve had to uninstall Asepsis, but after uninstall the excess xpc logging continues.

Thanks for the advice @Zeno_Popovici (I almost removed the _A folder).

I managed to stop the logging by reinstalling OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Combo Update whilst in safe mode. The folder and files mentioned by @vr8ce still exist but the excess logging has stopped.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Hey @Zeno_Popovici thanks for the hint. I have a question though. If all the backup folders are generated by asepsis and have nothing to do with the original vanilla installation of OSX how come that remove them breaks things? Could you please share more details about it?

Thanks a lot

Because it seems they’re not really backup folders … I don’t know what exactly this framework does, but it seems it modifies it somehow and then makes the system point to the A_ folder. It must be the way asepsis manages the _DStore files. The only one that can solve this issue is the one who coded it in the first place.

I’ve just uninstalled asepsis and will manage with those damn files. Also note that the migrateout command doesn’t work. So you basically cannot restore the system in the state before migratein command was issued. All _DStore files will be deleted once you uninstall asepsis. This really sucks. You find out this only when trying to uninstall it.

My advice: don’t use this hack. Don’t use any hacks. The developer might have been well intended but it’s a hack. A hack that you have to update when the next major release of OSX is out.

Got it. I just uninstalled it also because the current maintainer told me the new version of OSX won’t be supported so there is not even point for me to try to workaround this.
Thanks a lot for your answer though. Cheers.

@darwin I think i fixed it. So far by digging code it seems that asepsis puts its wrapper in Versions/A/DesktopServicesPriv, this wrapper has a dependency with Versions/A_/DesktopServicesPriv <- which is the real framework code. This two file loads and makes a workable framework.

For some weird reason XPCServices gets confused when there are A and A_ versions. Reason for that, i could not find. But, if we change the A_ to A_R (something other than A_), suddenly XPCServices doesn’t complain anymore.

So what i did, changed dependency on wrapper from Versions/A_/DesktopServicesPriv to Versions/A_R/DesktopServicesPriv using install_name_tool. Then changed DS_LIB_RELOCATED_FOLDER variable in asepsisctl to ......"A_R". Then i ran install_wrapper and no XPC error spamming in console.

What really happened, i have no idea.

@sarim great investigation work

I think this is not a complete solution. You have just temporarily fixed it for your machine.

My theory is that XPCServices, ScriptingAdditions and maybe some other subsystems use Spotlight (or something similar) to locate “all files of given type” and then operate on that list. For some people this indexing encounters Versions/A_ first and the system gets confused. For most others the order is correct and they don’t see an issue. By renaming A_ to A_R you have fixed your particular indexed order to be the correct one. But the problem can appear again even with A_R.

Okey, then, Is it possible to merge two library A/DesktopServicesPriv and A_/DesktopServicesPriv to one A/DesktopServicesPriv?

It is not possible.

A better solution?

I’ve also noticed this recently, and I think you can merge two libraries:
Install your wrapper to Current/DesktopServicesPrivWrapper(Current is aliased to A), then,
there is a Resources/Info.plist, it has a field “Executable file”,
you should change it to DesktopServicesPrivWrapper from DesktopServicesPriv,
link from DesktopServicesPrivWrapper to DesktopServicesPriv(in the same folder),
re-sign code signatures.
This way, no additional folder is created, and system is in a more managable state.

Hope it helps.

(com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.Console.1443) Conflicts exist in System services. Randomly deciding: path1 = /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32.xpc, path2 = /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices/com.apple.desktopservices.NumbersConverterXPCService32.xpc

Did a fix ever emerge for this logfile chattiness in Yosemite? Also happens in EC, but making an alias in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A pointing to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A_/XPCServices doesn’t stop the logfile entries, and there are a lot of them… It’s a bit of a pain, and delting Asepsis doesn’t make any difference. Ideally I would like to return to just having the ‘A’ folder and it’s alias in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions.

D

I too would very much like to know if anyone ever managed to find a good fix for this issue. It’s getting tedious to have to strip out those useless entries when trying to view the system log.