Feature Request: Scripting

Hi,

I love TotalSpaces, but one thing I really miss is being able to script it. More specifically, I’d love to be able to:

• get the current space’s name or index
  • switch to a space by name or index
  • move a window to a space by name or index

Thanks and keep up the great work!

1 Like

Actually you can do that. There is a C API

and there are Ruby bindings

We would aim to make an AppleScript interface, but that’s a little further off in the future as Mavericks is occupying us for now.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply, Stephen! I agree that supporting Maverick is more important right now, but I really hope you’ll eventually implement AppleScript. In the meantime, I’m using the API.

However I never used Ruby before, so as you can probably imagine, figuring out how to install and use the totalspaces gem (and its dependencies) was a bit or a pain in the arse, to be honest. But I finally managed it and now I can do things from Keyboard Maestro that weren’t possible before. So that was worth it.

Thanks again!

Any news on this? Mavericks is out, so it would be nice it there would be AppleScript interface one day.

I know AppleScript is popular, but we do have Ruby bindings for the TotalSpaces2 API. AppleScript remains as a lower priority than some other requests.

What are you specifically trying to do?

Basically this, but if ruby API would fit my needs, then the applescript wouldn’t be that necessary (however, the basic support for it could be helpful, as it would be really easy to use in different cases, like Alfred workflows or Automator scripts).