ISSUE: Dropbox Checkmark + Auto column width truncates the filename

Simple issue with Dropbox finder integration + auto column width.

Dropbox adds a sync checkmark icon to files which limits the available width for filenames.

Using TotalFinder’s auto column width feature, it does not account for this. The filenames are truncated with ellipses.

LEFT: Dropbox folder with sync icon (filename is truncated)
RIGHT: Regular folder (no issue)

Is there a simple solution to fix this myself, or a straightforward way to solve this with a TotalFinder update?

On a related topic with regards to the Dropbox overlays in Finder. (all at latest versions)

If I auto start Dropbox, TF then I don’t get the overlays.

If I leave out Dropbox and auto start TF and then start Dropbox still no overlays.

If I have Dropbox active and restart Finder and start TF the the overlays appear of the rest of the session.

The overlays work fine with Google Drive and One Drive, only issue is Dropbox with TF.

Anyone else experienced issues with the Dropbox overlays and TF ??

I would like to chime in supporting Skrypt’s request that Total Finder’s auto column width feature adds support for the Dropbox badges.

As a designer working on projects with multiple collaborators through shared Dropbox folders, I spend most of my Mac OS (Total) Finder time browsing through Dropbox folders in column view, so this is recurring issue for me.

The most frustrating aspect of this issue is that Total Finder will resize any new column to match the filename length, and for just a split second you can read the whole filename. But then the Dropbox badge will appear, which causes the previously resized and visible filenames to truncate and become unreadable right in front of your eyes! This tantalizing moment when the filenames go from readable to truncated often happens hundreds of times a day, making this issue especially annoying.

I realize that this is not the worst problem in the world, but I’ve come to rely upon Total Finder and Dropbox in almost equal measure, so it would be great if they could be made to play nice and have this minor but persistent irritant squashed forever.

@darwin correct me if I’m wrong, but I imagine this being a simple fix.

Could we just have an option to pad the column sizing by an extra 20-40 px so that it all fits?

I’m sorry I have unloaded whole context from my head, so I cannot really give you good answers.

Just looked at my code and there is some hidden option supporting custom width correction:

The tweak name is TotalFinderAutoWidthCorrection, you should be able to experiment with it via

In Terminal.app set this plist tweak:

defaults write com.binaryage.totalfinder TotalFinderAutoWidthCorrection 40

And then restart Finder via CMD+OPT+ESC and launch TotalFinder.app again.

To remove this tweak

defaults delete com.binaryage.totalfinder TotalFinderAutoWidthCorrection

Good luck!

3 Likes

And just to chime in, this is on my list and will look into it when I circle back around to TotalFinder. I’m currently in TotalSpaces mode.

1 Like

IT WORKED. My man!

1 Like

Nice! it works!

1 Like

This works great — thank you, thank you, thank you!

(And while this is a fantastic workaround for nitpicky forum hunters like me, you might wanna consider adding it as a preference somewhere in the GUI… You know — for the regular folks.)

Also, did I mention “thank you”? Because thank you.

@darwin @BinarySteve

Hey guys, is there a way we can fix this same exact issue in the File Selector Window as well?

I’m referring to the Finder window that opens when you are picking a file in other apps (Example: uploading a file in Chrome).

Attached screenshot of the issue:

This is not possible as far as I know. File Open/Save dialogs are implemented in system libraries. Technically they have nothing to do with Finder.app.

1 Like