Meet Steve & what's next for TotalFinder and TotalSpaces

Can I just say this is awesome news. I’ve tried all number of finder replacements but nothing has come close. The major thing that I miss is the dual pane visor mode with a sidebar on either side of the screen. You can kind of create this dual pane mode with other replacements but the sidebar just doesn’t work in other apps.

Also, I hope this means TotalTermal’s visor mode will start working again :slight_smile:

I’m extremely pleased to see that the development of TotalSpaces and TotalFinder will continue. I personally could not use a Mac without TotalSpaces. I recently upgraded to El Capitan, and Total Spaces is running fine with SIP enabled. Having to enter those commands in the Terminal though was a bit of a hassle. And as I assume I will have to do it again for every OS X and/or TotalSpaces update, an automated way that was more convenient would be very welcome.

Keep up the good work!

Yep, this trick should work for TotalFinder, but not currently for TotalSpaces.

I would certainly announce when it’s ready to share.

1 Like

No worries, good work shall continue to be kept up.

Hello Steve,
As a long-time TF user, I have been resisting the upgrade to El Capitan, because I was slightly worried about disengaging SIP. Today I was speaking with a friend who has upgraded to El Capitan, and I told her that you had claimed that " > in my view, TotalFinder & TotalSpace already do work with El Capitan." She recently purchased TF, and when she tried to open it, a warning came up indicating that TF was incompatible with the SIP. Does one have to dismantle SIP entirely to use TF, or will it simply work without all its features? If that is the case, which ones and how can one get it running with the new limitations?
Can you clarify this for me? Many thanks, and I am glad you have decided to try and make it fully compatible. I hope that’s soon. TF is far superior to the Apple finder.
Michael S.

I love both TotalFinder and Spaces, don’t have an issue with disabling SIP if it means that your productive tools can be used on my system. But yes I would disable/enable SIP at install. I am delighted that you have taken the ball up with these wonderful tools, both indispensable for me.

For a guy that regularly clicks ‘Check For Updates’ I am thrilled that you are moving forward with both products ! I would love to see in TF the ability to select files by masks, and if you could build the function of FilePane ™ into TF then we are rocking. Count on my support to move forward, upgrade costs don’t scare me off. It is totally necessary to keep the products alive.

Let me chime in and say this is really exciting news and I literally cannot wait for you to provide TotalSpaces with SIP enabled. TotalSpaces was a key part of my development workflow (I don’t like to use multiple monitors), and not having it and having to rely on Mission Control has just been really bumming me out. I have 8 desktops and scrolling back and forth on them is such a pain. I would disable SIP but its one of those things I think I probably shouldn’t go without.

Please, please fix SIP support for TotalSpaces!

You can already follow these instructions for installing and running TotalSpaces with SIP fully enabled.

Yep, this trick is for TotalFinder, but not currently for TotalSpaces.

I am a former user of TotalFinder who uninstalled it when El Capitan came out.

I logged on here for the first time for 6 months (as I thought TotalFinder was non-existent under El Capitan when running SIP).

I read some exciting positive news about it working now so I reinstalled it, followed this http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/system-osax1 but all I’m getting is “Troubles launching TotalFinder”.

I am using v1.7.12 and I have OSX 10.11.5.

So this article is not correct as I followed the instructions exactly…

Thanks in advance.

I’ve successfully pulled this off with TotalFinder twice over, both times, following the same instructions, using almost the same version of OSX (I’m on 10.11.6 on both systems), installing the same version of TotalFinder, done apparently within the same timeframe (a couple hours ago)! I’ve not used TotalFinder before (but I am a registered TotalSpaces user) and so I’m evaluating (and very likely to purchase Real Soon Now :slight_smile: ); I doubt that makes a substantive difference, though. (Heck, it even works on my hackintoshed Thinkpad; the other system is an Early 2009 Mac Pro).

You may want to double-check (or triple-check, as the case may be) those instructions. Specifically:

• Is TotalFinder.osax really in /System/Library/ScriptingAdditions/?
  • Does TotalFinder.osax have the correct permissions? (It and everything in it should be owned by user root and group wheel)
  • Is there still a TotalFinder.osax in /Library/ScriptingAdditions/? There probably shouldn’t be.
  • Are there any other Finder-altering tweaks that might be causing interference? (I used to be running XtraFinder; while its presence did not interfere with TotalFinder, I may well have just been lucky in that regard).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for replying but I’ve checked all that again and it simply just doesn’t work. It won’t launch. Perhaps it was stupid of me to reinstall it and think it would work again !

Hi Steve, is there any update on a way to have TF running again through disabling and then enabling SIP (but a more convenient way). I tried doing it by following the technical instructions but I keep getting “Won’t Launch”. Cheers and appreciate your attempts at getting TF and TS up and running again.

Double-check that you don’t have an extra copy of TotalFinder.osax in your /Library/ScriptingAdditions. You should only have a copy in /System/Library/ScriptingAdditions

Otherwise, let’s see if there’s more information about this issue in the Console:
http://binaryage.clarify-it.com/d/meeryk

You can send the output into support@binaryage.com for privacy.

Thanks Steve. Appreciate the reply. I’ve just forwarded an email.

Hi Steve, any update on my problem with not getting TF to start? I had sent you an email with output from console?

Thanks
Paul

Apparently I am a horrible, deceptive person. I’d forgotten I had SIP partially disabled on both machines (because I was toying with unsigned kexts). I had finished up with that on one of my machines, turned SIP back on, and sure enough, now TotalFinder is giving me the “Trouble starting, Apple events not being delivered” message.

Going back to recovery boot and running csrutil enable --without debug brought back TotalFinder functionality. So SIP is partially enabled, but not fully:

$ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
	Apple Internal: disabled
	Kext Signing: enabled
	Filesystem Protections: enabled
	Debugging Restrictions: disabled
	DTrace Restrictions: enabled
	NVRAM Protections: enabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

Hi Steve,

What a great idea to open up this communication channel.

I’m an avid TotalFinder user. Yesterday’s update to Sierra went smoothly, TF still runs rock solid with SIP enabled, after redoing the steps as described in your clear and concise instructions.

But enough with the schmoozing :smile: The reason I came here was an idea for a new feature:

I use a couple of Finder services a lot and it annoys me that they are all hidden behind the Services menu item in the Finder’s context menu. This makes it cumbersome to use the same service repeatedly. It would be great if I could “promote” my favorite services to the top level of the context menu so that they are more accessible (IIRC it used to be like that in earlier versions of OS X, but I don’t recall when exactly they changed that).

Since TF “messes” with the contents of the context menu anyway, my idea was that this would kind of fit into the list of possible features.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Good idea. I have created a feature request in your name so I can follow up with you if/when things progress.

Hi Steve, any update on my problem. I sent you an email in August. TF still doesn’t work for me after upgrading to Sierra. Thanks.