[RESOLVED] Totalfinder "open in new tab" always opens a new window

I wasn’t having any issues until I installed 1.6.20. Now I don’t get the tab bar at all, and using Cmd-T opens a new window. I’ve tried activating and deactivating the Finder preference for new tabs, but it doesn’t help. I’m running 10.10.4 build 14E17e, the latest pre-release seed installed on 5/14 and working fine with the previous version of TotalFinder.

I’m with you on this, I wasn’t having any issues until this 1.6.20 release; nothing I did was fixing it, until I tried hiding and re-showing the toolbar via hitting CMD+OPT+T twice, after I had already typed in the below Terminal command @darwin posted to disable the DMG detection behavior.

Now all of my tabs open up seamlessly again!

The »Reveal in Finder«-function opens only windows as well… .

Which application were you using this function from?

Ah, I missed the defaults command when I was reading this thread. It worked for me after entering the command, showing/hiding the tab bar, and then restarting Finder and Total Finder.

Thanks for the tips – I was about to downgrade to get my tabs back.

Lightroom.

But wait: I have made a PRAM & SMC Reset and now it seems to be TotalFinder is just working properly again… .

Strange… but good! Glad it resolved itself through your PRAM and SMC reset. That can fix the strangest things sometimes.

No worries, just glad I could figure out what actually worked!

I don’t believe PRAM & SMC Reset have anything to do with this issue. I think you guys mixed two problems into one thread.

Problem 1 (the original): TotalFinder sometimes opens a new window instead of a new tab (clicking the “+” button on the tab bar, or via CMD+T). This happened because your toolbar and sidebar were hidden and my code assumed new windows are DMG files (there was a special codepath to detect this). This problem has been fixed in v1.6.20.

Problem 2 (probably introduced in 1.6.20): There are no tabs at all (if I understand it correctly). To me it looks like Tabs plugin is not loading at all. Please look into Console.app and see if you can spot a message about not loading Tabs plugin when TotalFinder was launching.

Tabs can be disabled completely from Finder preferences → TotalFinder → Tabs

I definitely have Problem 1. It started for me in version 1.6.19, and persists into 1.6.20. Have tried running the suggested terminal command, restarting TotalFinder and the computer (plus PRAM, SMC, etc for good measure).

Edit: I also get the following notification whenever I launch TotalFinder (since the problem began in 1.6.19):

"Troubles launching TotalFinder"
Apple Events cannot be delivered.

Here are exactly the same problems, as Musicman discribed.
Went back to 1.6.18.

It looks like version 1.6.20 was bad. Some people reported really weird crashes and unexpected behaviour.

I have improved the DMG detection introduced in 1.6.20 (with might cause troubles).
http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes#1.6.21

Thank you for testing and your patience.

Still a problem in 1.6.21!
Open a new tab only works in the full window, if i try to open a new tab from the sidebar, a new window opens with external HDD´s.

Still a problem here as well. For me, the sidebar and tab bar are both visible (this is true for all my windows) but new tabs always open in a new window, regardless of location.

I am also still getting the “Trouble launching TotalFinder” notification on launch. Is anyone else getting this as well?

I have the same issue with DMGs/external drives opening in non-tabbed windows (using command-click). I hope a fix is pushed soon.

I’m using improved method for DMG detection in 1.6.22:
http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes#1.6.22

Also I have reverted some changes which caused instability of 1.6.19+. I hope this release will be good.

Here everything is fine now so far, THX.

1 Like

Fixed here as well. Thank you for your diligence in fixing this issue!

1 Like

I consider this problem as solved. Thank you all for participating on the solution. Have a nice weekend.