Safari crashing with Total Finder under El Capitan

Hi, is anyone else experiencing this - I just did the necessary “tweaks” on security to enable Total Finder to work again, having lived without it for a number of months.

Now its back, and working correctly I think, immediately notice a problem though - I went to get the latest version and Safari crashes, sort of launches and then fails within a second almost every time, the one occasion it didn’t, it just displayed a blank page for a while, then crashed.

I’m running on a 2013 MacPro if that makes any difference.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I subsequently launched Firefox and downloaded the latest Total Finder, but is still behaves in the same way.

I have hundreds of Safari bookmarks, so if it just TF doesn’t play nicely with it any more, I’m afraid Safari will have to take presidence - any help appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

How very strange. I haven’t had any reports of this. It’s possible but unlikely that TotalFinder is causing the issue.

First, I would be interested in seeing one of these Safari crash reports.

1. In Finder, hold the Option (alt) key and choose the “Go > Library” from the Finder menu.
  2. Go into the Logs folder.
  3. Go into the DiagnosticReports folder.
  4. Send me any files that start with “Safari”.

Second, I recommend uninstalling TotalFinder, rebooting, then seeing if Safari is better.

Let me know what you find.

I have not experienced this problem with TotalFinder, and I am using the very latest Betas of OS X and Safari.

Yes - I have exactly the same problem - on one of my iMacs! The other iMac experiences no problem. I installed the Safari Technology Preview - it works without any problem. And all my bookmarks were there!

Well I think I can be pretty certain TF was the cause, I changed nothing else, just followed the steps as described and then Safari started crashing - every time. Obviously not absolute proof of Casality, but given Safari hadn’t crashed once under El Capitan, and I had it installed for about a month before installing TF, at which point it crashed the next time I opened it and every time since, I think I am pretty convinced.

Obviously good to have another user, mulepose, now reporting the same issue. I assume that most users are in the “I have not experienced this problem with TotalFinder” / rbodman group - or they would presumably say so.

Sorry not to respond sooner to you BinarySteve, for some reason I got notifications for the other two posts (im afraid (there didn’t seem much point responding to the I have not experienced this problem one), but not yours. Sorry, I can’t now follow your instructions as I’ve completely removed Safari and now struggling to re-install without completely overwriting OSX, which will presumably in turn reset the security that prevents TF working - I can feel a groundhog day pattern emerging!

Once I have re-installed El Capitan I will check that Safari works as it should, do another reset of the security and report back.

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Again,

Since my first post I uninstalled Safari, and then re-installed the whole of OSX El Capitan ( I can’t find how to just install Safari)

It still behaves the same

OK, nothing in the Logs folder for Safari.

I then Uninstalled Total Finder and re-booted. Safari still crashes as before, but no Logs still, and still crashes on launch.

So I guess that means its not Total Finder - or its done something that get s left behind when uninstalled anyhow.

Thanks

Stephen

I would still be interested in seeing one of those Safari crash logs:

1. In Finder, hold the Option (alt) key and choose the “Go > Library” from the Finder menu.
  2. Go into the Logs folder.
  3. Go into the DiagnosticReports folder.
  4. Send me any files that start with “Safari”.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for response…I should have mentioned this though.

I would love to send you a Safari crash report, but there are no Safari crash reports in that Logs folder I’m afraid. Very odd, it just launches for about half a second, long enough to see it is Safari, then crashes.

All very odd - so I now have no Safari and no TotalFinder - worst of both worlds!

Stephen

Hey Stephen,

Just to confirm, you looked in your user Library folder, not the /Library folder?

And was there nothing in the Console for “Safari”?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, I confirm I followed your erlier instructions - so was looking on the Logs in my user Library (there are other Logs from an Adobe Illustrator crash yesterday for example, but nothing for Safari.)

Another weird thing is that sometimes it seems to be able to open a Safari window, but its just a transparent rectangle, says Safari next to the Apple icon top left, so its sort of pretending to run. I would attach an image but can’t see how to.

Looking in the Console, there are loads of Safri items like this:

May 21 01:22:28 stephenmps-Mac-Pro SubmitDiagInfo[499]: Submitted problem report file:///Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Safari_2016-05-20-174724_stephenmps-Mac-Pro.crash

or this

May 21 10:33:06 stephenmps-Mac-Pro Dock[1680]: -[UABestAppSuggestionManager notifyBestAppChanged:type:options:bundleIdentifier:activityType:dynamicIdentifier:when:confidence:deviceName:deviceIdentifier:deviceType:] DB49BC57-7DFD-4A1F-9A9D-2FB97B9F8BB0 UserActivity com.apple.Safari/NSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWeb opts={

Thanks

Stephen

…and the months go by. An update, I did a complete uninstall of Total Finder, then uninstall and reinstall of Safari, well, the whole of OSX in fact, and Safari still just crashes out. So I now use Firefox and no Total finder, loved it while it worked, but have fallen out of love after it seems to have killed Safari.