TotalFinder alternatives

I would also subscribe to an app like that

1st Place : Auto adjust column width!!!

2nd Place : Folders on Top

So sad to see TotalFinder go!

Iā€™m going to miss TotalFinder. Iā€™ve tried all the rest and I have to admit the integration with the Finder and the simplicity of TotalFinder beats them all. My favorite features of the TotalFinder are dual mode and folders on top. I wish there was a better solution. Any thanks for making a fabulous product! I look forward to future products.

I disabled SIP but actually there seem to be more issues than that in El Capitan, when I am browsing my NAS I get a list of ALL folders (including ones I donā€™t have access to) but the ones I have access to display no contents. When I kill TotalFinder I can see the contents of said folders.

This is a total mess, Apple seems to be taking Finder even more backwards than ever before. TF was the only thing that made Finder tolerable.

I canā€™t believe I spend money for TFā€¦ :frowning:

I guess since ForkLift is listed as an alternative, you could also list Transmit.

Unfortunately you can no longer mount remote locations as local disks (again, due to SIP). But you can browse local files and remote ones within the App. Itā€™s not obvious right away when you open it, but if you click on the ā€œworld iconā€ you can switch to local browser mode and switch betwen local/remote locations.

Hereā€™s a screenshot:

One big caveat of Transmit, however, you canā€™t sort files by kind, size, etc. You can put folders on top, but thatā€™s it.

I used Pathfinder for a long time back in the day but ultimately switched to TotalFinder because it felt a little more native and ā€˜nimbleā€™. But Pathfinder is (or at least was, and I have no reason to believe this has changed) a very good product. Offhand I donā€™t know of any features from TotalFinder that arenā€™t also in Pathfinder so itā€™s probably going to be my replacement.

Thanks Antonin, for a great product - sorry to see it end!

Think againā€¦

Thanks. Unfortunately thatā€™s only available in List view.

Haha, true, but you didnā€™t specify a specific view, and thatā€™s the default view it ships withā€¦ I believe.

Youā€™re right. I am just used to browsing in Finder in ā€œcolumnā€ view.

Finderā€¦ absolutely. Iā€™ve trained myself to the different view in Transmit though. Easier to distinguish what app iā€™m using I guess. Either way, TF will be missed.

Anyway, TF doesnā€™t behave correctly even with SIP turned off, I canā€™t browse my Network folders, they appear empty. So I am gonna uninstall it and will turn SIP back on but I didnā€™t see in the blog post how to do that, is it safe to assume that the command is this? csrutil disable --without debug

Looks about right according to this https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/3981

Thatā€™s weird, disable disables SIP but the command given in the TF blog post is enable

@darwin I am confused. Could you clarify? maybe update the blog post on how to revert to El Capitan defaults.

Does anyone know if there is any alternative to TF that has colored labels? I think none of these has colored labelsā€¦

Absolutely true for me. In fact, these are the only three that I need to be happy.

The native cut and paste shortcut (Cmd+C and Cmd+Opt+V) has one major downfall, it doesnā€™t change the state of the selected files with transparency like in Windows. This is key for managing large amounts of files and wanting to make sure that you ā€œcutā€ the correct files before pasting them into another directory. Unless that is somehow patented like Microsoft, I canā€™t imagine why Apple hasnā€™t added this enormously helpful feature.

Anyone know of any apps that specifically allow the Cut & Paste function like in Windows? If I had to pick one feature that I cared the most about from TotalFinder, this would be it.

Be cautious. Once I installed El Capitan, PathFinder interacted badly with Finder and drove Finder (and a plug-in process) above 100% CPU utilization each! I had to quit PathFinder and restart Finder to get utilization back to normal. Appears related to opening a program that can utilize local or iCloud storage. Several others have experienced the same problem. But not everyone.

Too bad as I was getting to where I liked PathFinderā€¦ Hopefully, they will fix. Apparently they donā€™t do Apple Developer testing (according to a couple of posts).

Fork Lift does not exhibit the same behavior.

BTW, I admire TotalFinder, even in its absence from El Capitan. After I installed, I got a very informative pop-up telling me TotalFinder is not compatible (sadly). But it offered choices. A link to describe the not preferred work around of disabling certain system protections, an option just to exit, and an option to uninstall. TotalFinder has such class!

You had me worried. However, network folders are working for me.