TotalFinder alternatives

@Richard_Keys, yes, +1 for the auto-adjusting column widths.

Too bad news, first of all, thank you for your hard work !

Regarding a visor ā€œlikeā€, I found an alternative from http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/114933/is-there-a-keyboard-shortcut-to-bring-up-finder using Apple Automator App

1 - Open Automator (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2488) and choose the service template.
2 - Change the input type from selected text to no input.
3 - Add a Launch Application action and drop Finder on the pop-up button from /System/Library/CoreServices/. (The dialog for choosing an application does not allow selecting Finder.)
4 - Save the service and give it a shortcut in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services.

The service only opens a new window if there is no existing Finder window. To open a new window every time, add a Get Specified Finder Items action, drop the folder you want to open on the list, and then add a Reveal Finder Items action.

Hello everybody,

I have a good news for those like me who could not live without the visor feature of TotalFinder.

You can download apptivate for free and use it in combination with, letā€™s say, Commander One (or any other, like Path Finder or anything else).

You can set a system-wide shortcut to let your Finder-replacement app appear, and the same to make it disappear (check relevant box in Apptivate preferences).
Then, on the Finder-replacement appā€™s icon in the Dock, you right-click, go to ā€˜optionsā€™ and select ā€˜All desktopsā€™.

The final comportment is exactly the same as TotalFinder visor feature.

I hope this will bring the smile back on some faces.

Cheers everyone

1 Like

Oh man, this is just one more app that I use daily that wonā€™t work with El Capitan! FinderPop is gone, TotalFinder gone. This really sucks. I may not upgrade for a long time! Iā€™m afraid to find out what other incredibly useful app I use will no longer work!

OSX comes with a default keyboard shortcut, opt + āŒ˜ + space
It takes you to Finder/Search. I know itā€™s specific for Search within Finder, but it launches the Finder window, so thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been using for a long time.

1 Like

Is there anyway to get the Visor function without TotalFinder? I know how to ā€œinvokeā€ a Finder window using keyboard shortcuts (using Alfred in my case). Ideally, Iā€™d like to ā€œrevokeā€ the window too, using the very same shortcut. I just canā€™t seem to replicate the Visor behavior beyond invoking. The Visor function launched all new Finder windows as tabs in the current Visor window, keeping things tidy. What I have now is Finder Windows popping up randomly across my screen. Visor is truly something Iā€™m going to miss. I hope someone can port the Visor part of TotalFinder, somehow. Iā€™d do it myself if I had the minerals.

This brings back my smile! Now, to see how it fares in the long run, integration with tabs etc. There is potential here! Thanks so much for the tip!

Check out the link to Apptivate posted above. Not quite the same as Visor, but achieves a similar function. Iā€™m also an Alfred user and this augments it nicely.

Installed it. It doesnā€™t quite behave the way I want. The shortcut wonā€™t bring up a Finder window when Iā€™m not running any other apps at the same time (that is, Finder being the only active application). Apptivate ignores keypresses in those scenarios. It does what itā€™s supposed to do, no doubt, but entirely not what I was hoping for. In this state itā€™s a poor substitute for visor, at best.

Transmit is hardly an alternative? I canā€™t get local folders in the second pane (or only pane if I turn off dual pane) ā€¦ Something Iā€™m missing? EDIT: It seems I can switch to Local browser ā€¦ Giving Transmit a try, then ā€¦

I already own Disk Order, but never got around to using it for daily activities, itā€™s too different, or maybe TotalFinder was just so much easier/lighter ā€¦ Also development doesnā€™t seem too active (EDIT: the likemac.ru domain name seems to have timed out or something, too). So maybe Path Finder, Forklift or One Commander. One Commander is a really nice NC/DC sort of app. Path Finder can be more Finderā€™ish. Forklift seems lighter, but I guess I need to add quite a few Norton Commanderā€™ish keyboard shortcuts somehow (F5, F6 etc) ā€¦
Choosing is hard, and only 14 days (or Transmitā€™s 7 days) is not really enough ā€¦

Whatever is going on under the hood, I have no idea, but I also use an app called Bartender and it had a short process in which I booted into recovery mode, turned off SIP, restarted in normal mode, ran Bartender, it did some behind the scenes hocus pocus, then I rebooted into recovery mode, turned SIP back on, restarted back into normal mode, and Bartender works just fine. Obviously it does something totally different from TotalFinder, but could there be a way forward using a similar trick to whatever theyā€™ve got going on?

yes. +1

Should CRAX Commander also be mentioned/considered, maybe? (Another NC/MC style program)

Exclusive offer for TotalFinder users: 50% Off on CRAX Commander FastSpring version. If you are interested in this offer please send an e-mail to support@soft4u2.com with confirmation that you are the legal user of TotalFinder app and I will send you a promo code.

2 Likes

WOW! PISSED ABOUT THIS!

I installed the latest version of TF and disabled SIP because IT IS WORTH IT TO ME! Ive tried all the others listed here and do NOT like them, the only other one is XtraFinder which has the same issues, so I disabled SIP.

Is there any way you can make a basic TF with;

1. Folders on Top
  2. Show Cut/Cope/Paste Buttons

Maybe other features, but those are the two I HAVE TO HAVE!

I may go back to 10.10.4 for awhile, even though dialing SIP is WORTH it to me, I found somethings I hate in 10.11

Does not work, I tried.

I understand about the developmentā€¦a few more programs I have are discontinuing support for OS X. I have been looking at ForkLift2 but it does not suit a problem I have. Basically, I have OneDrive set up with a 1TB account through University but have limited hard drive space. What I want to do is mount it to a network drive (SMB) that has enough space to hold the files located online. I thought that disklets would suit that, but it seems to mount smb drives just like OS X natively does.

Do any of you know if any one of these can do what Iā€™m asking? Iā€™m assuming probably not which will drive me to a cheaper alternative. 2nd, if these canā€™t do this type of mounting, does anyone know what will?

Edit: I should say that the network drive mounting has to make the drive appear like a USB connected disk or internal disk.

I decided to bite the bullet and disable SIP. I simply cannot live without TotalFinder. And letā€™s be honest, there are no real alternatives anyway.

Iā€™m still in the air with an alternate and am now starting to lean towards Pathfinder. ForkLift2 is great as a low CPU use and very clean software and Pathfinder gives a total replacement if you configure it. I need to look at the CPU for that, though.