TotalFinder alternatives

CRAX Commander works really well! I’m sold :slight_smile:

It´s much simpler for me. I´m NOT upgrading to El Capitan. Mac user from 1992, not always upgraded systems. This is so clear to me, EL Capitan doesn´t offer any improvement over Yosemite for my day to day basis. SIP is a pain in the ass for people like me who like to fine tune the system.

Total Finder is one of the best apps i have used in my life. There´s no way for me to upgrade if i can´t use it anymore. At least, not for now.

Total reasonable reaction to the problem. But in my experience El Capitan is just the better Yosemite. At least on my 27" late 2009 iMac. Its preforming much better on this slightly aged hardware and feels more mature.

As a Windows and Max user in parallel El Capitan is Windows 8/10 compared to Vista (Yosemite).

I’m really happy with the update but really sad as well that TotalFinder will go. A little long time used gem we all will miss.

But thanks for being with us that long. And maybe we will see us again in the future.

2 Likes

Has anyone taken a look at the cup/performance difference between pathfinder and just finder? What I have seen initially is a much higher cpu but don’t know if that is temporary.

Completely agree, thats where I am at.

PATHFINDER is the ONLY viable option from everything listed here but it’s ridiculously expensive, not worth it at all unless we can manage a 50% discount.

I have reached out to Cocoatech/PathFinder. Ill post an update once I get it.

I didn’t find Commader One that useful or a real alternative to TotalFinder but if anyone is interested it’s on sale today for $1.99 in the App Store, and it’s the PRO version.

http://twodollartues.com/deals/commander-one-pro/

Since there really is nothing like TT and you are concerned about dev time and support cost, why not consider just fixing this issue for El Capitan and charging us for a new version? I would be happy to pay a reasonable price to upgrade to a working version of TT as its a key tool in my dev workflow.

2 Likes

I would too. I think a lot of us would!

Me too!

Thank you for such a long run with me :slight_smile:
Right now I have no chance but have to get used to cmd+opt+v (cutting) and cmd+t to get a new tab :sob:
I hope we can meet again :smile:

Hi

I just wanted to say that like the posters above, I would pay the price of TotalFinder again to receive a new version that works with El Capitan.

I’ve just upgraded and “discovered” the problem, which is a real drag. Like others above, I have yet to find something like, or as good as, TotalFinder. The key features for me are the folders on top and the “merged dual tab view”.

I hope you find a way to continue with TotalFinder, but understand (as a developer myself) if you think the time has come to draw a line under it.

Cheers
Derek

I would also pay money for a new or standalone version of Totalfinder. I have Pathfinder and it’s good, but still prefer the ease of Totalfinder. That’s a vote for a new app from me. Cheers.

Path Finder people just offered 50% discount to TotalFinder users. See UPDATE2 section in the initial post.

While great, I still would LOVE/WANT a 10.11 compatible version of TF, if not Ill disable SIP with pleasure. I totally support TF as I have used it for used. I will PAY for a new version, happily.

I for one am very sad regarding the news of TotalFinders effective demise having truly integrated all of its benefits into my own workflow.

Having said that and prior to perhaps switching to Commander One (reluctantly) I would like to get a sense of the security issue / risk if I de-activated SIP.

For example would de-activating SIP in El Capital place me in a MORE vulnerable position than exists now in Yosemite without SIP ??

I would be pleased to hear the views in order that I may gauge the risk more appropriately

Regards
Paul.

Hi Paul,

El Capitan with SIP fully disabled should be as secure as Yosemite. @ckreon summed it up here: https://github.com/binaryage/asepsis/issues/30#issuecomment-148296748

Please note that our article instructs you how to disable SIP only partially. You allow code injection, but other SIP subsystems stay in place. Most notably filesystem protection and kernel extension signing are still enabled.

That is why I don’t understand people who decided to stick with Yosemite, because they think their system would be somewhat under greater security risk if they upgraded to El Capitan and disabled SIP. Personally, I see no valid reason not to upgrade. You get more recent system and you can always fully disable SIP to downgrade it to Yosemite security if it is worth it for you.

1 Like

I decided to upgrade to 10.11 due to the performance enhancements, as I originally downgraded back to 10.10.

Currently, I am 10.11.1 with SIP disabled via the CSRUTIL DISABLE --WITHOUT DEBUG code and enjoy it. I will continue to work with SIP disabled if/when TF decides to make a compatible version. I did purchase PathFinder 7 for 50% off but still much prefer TF over it.

I’d like to mention something that Path Finder has and that’s really nice to have coming from Linux (or Windows): the ability to merge two folders.

I’m talking about this: http://www.howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously/

Coming from Linux (or Windows) this Finder’s default behaviour can be a problem. Path Finder defaults to ask and Merge, which is nice to have instead of have to remember to keep a key down (option) before attempting to copy to being able to merge two folders.

That Path Finder discount has expired (10/28). And to thank you for such a helpful app. Missing it (and Default Folder) greatly. Tried most of suggested alternatives, liked Path Finder best, though more complex than I need, but without discount going with ForkLift. Thanks again for your work. Gladly buy a new version if TotalFinder does continue.

MNB