TotalFinder alternatives

Oh no! I love TotalFinder!

• the tabs, much better than OS X’s
  • coloured files and folders
  • system files switch on and off so easily.
    I’m certainly disabling Apple’s SIP. I have several apps that still run many OSX versions after the last one they were updated to, so perhaps TotalFinder will too.
    I’d be very happy to pay a good price for a new version.

@Gareth_Davies: unfortunately, to build something like Finder with full feature parity is a multi-year project for a single developer. And I’m afraid I won’t be able to reuse much of my code. Most of the TotalFinder code is hooking into and patching existing Finder functionality - not a very reusable code. I’m not going to do that at this point. First, I still don’t believe there is a market for it, because although not perfect, we have plenty of other Finder replacement apps. And frankly, I don’t want to use a replacement app myself. The beauty of TotalFinder is its Finder integration. You keep to use your Finder + get some extra features on top. Sweet deal.

@Orladoech: I will try to keep existing TotalFinder features up-to-date with future Finder changes. But I cannot promise full compatibility. For example if Apple decided to rewrite substantial parts of Finder for next OS release, it would mean to re-implement TotalFinder hacks again. And at that point I might throw shovel into the ring…

Thanks for the update, I will still continue to use TF as I love it.

I understand a new stand-alone could take years, but would it be something you’re interested in doing? I presume it would sell as TF is the best Finder solution, even with SIP.

Have you considered a monthly subscription? I’d pay $5-$10 a month for Total Finder. It’s indispensable to my workflow. As a business owner, the increased productivity is worth more than $10 per month.

I paid $10 a couple of years ago. I understand why your not excited about “re-writing” code to work with SIP. But, at $10 per month times “x” customers could motivate you? You say there isn’t a market for TF? But, lots of comments here of those willing to disable SIP and stick with TF. Not sure how many are willing to pay a monthly subscription though?

I just tried out Commander - no thanks. I’m disabling SIP and sticking with TF.

My cash is ready for a new version of TF !! but I don’t think the tool warrants a subscription.

Can’t imagine Finder without it.

I appreciate the suggestion, but personally I don’t like most subscription models.

The issue isn’t the effort to “re-write code to work with SIP”, it’s that it can’t be done (as far as we know). I recently found a trick in 10.11 El Capitan that completely works around the SIP issue, but that same trick doesn’t work on 10.12 Sierra (as far as we know).

Steve,

I am so dependent on TF that turning off SIP is not an issue for me, we have been living without SIP protection for years and I refuse to go back on the great functionality that TF provides. I for one want to see more features and stability than SIP compatibility.

1 Like

I tried to do without TotalFinder. But I couldn’t. I hated the tabs on El Capitan. I loved being able to split the window pane. So, I’m going to take a chance. After all, I never encountered a malware issue before Apple started this.

1 Like