TotalFinder status under OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

@darwin I apologize in advance as I don’t fully understand all the technical requirements involved here, but I was reading about code injection and I came across a mod called “DockMod” that figured out a way to do code injection in El Capitan without disabling SIP. Portions of their FAQ page says:

Dockmod 4 for El Capitan does not modify any system files. Apple introduced a new security policy on OS X El Capitan [SIP] that prevents modification of system files, even by privileged processes… To get around these measures and still achieve code injection, Dockmod 4 utilizes a signed kernel extension (KEXT) to handle the injection…

Dockmod 4 does not require you to disable System Integrity Protection (Rootless).
See FAQ section on: https://www.spyresoft.com/dockmod/

This option may not even be possible for TF, but I thought I’d bring it up in case no one else had.

Hello there

Could the developer of Totalfinder comment about using signed Kernel extensions to handle the code injection?

would it be at all possible?

Kind regards

Giacomo

Just a thank you for explaining how to turn off SIP. I will always use TotalFinder, it’s way better than any alternative, and the introduction of SIP is extremely uncool. If Apple cares so much about their “System Integrity”, then they need to make a system that actually has integrity.

Anyway if anything comes up in the future that needs to be disabled to keep using TotalFinder, I’ll always appreciate it if you can tell us what needs to be done, regardless of wheter TotalFinder is being updated or not.

I just updated to 10.11.4 and somehow everything seems to be broken. Basically opening new folders, whether through Spotlight, through Alfred or for example by directly clicking on a folder on the desktop, doesn’t work at all. The requested directory is not opened. I have tried turning off visor, and turning off tabs completely, and still no luck. Sometimes nothing happens, and then sometimes a broken Finder window appears in the middle of the screen which I cannot interact with at all, and which I cannot close without killing Finder. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Totalfinder to no avail.

How strange. Would you mind running some commands in Terminal for me, then copying back the output? Just copy and paste the below into Terminal and press the return key:

csrutil status
ls /Library/ScriptingAdditions
ls /System/Library/ScriptingAdditions

Also, could you gather some info from the Console? https://binaryage.clarify-it.com/d/meeryk
You might want to send that to us via email to support@binaryage.com

Thanks. Here’s the results:

csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: enabled
Filesystem Protections: enabled
Debugging Restrictions: disabled
DTrace Restrictions: enabled
NVRAM Protections: enabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

ls /Library/ScriptingAdditions
BartenderHelper.osax TotalFinder.osax TotalTerminal.osax
MenuBarReArrangerHelper.osax TotalSpaces.osax

ls /System/Library/ScriptingAdditions
Digital Hub Scripting.osax StandardAdditions.osax

Will email the console info directly. Thanks!

Thanks for running those commands. Everything looks good there. I’ll reply to your email about the logs.

I’m having the same issues. Total Finder is completely unusable in ElCapitan at this point.
It was working for a couple of months…I’m not sure what changed.

Currently I’m just running Apple’s Finder.

Hello Team,

I just ordered the Total Finder (our office finally upgraded to El Capitan - we were about 3 systems behind), and we miss the color bars on the finder! Unfortunately, the “fine print” for El Capitan is not very noticeable on your site, and I only found out that I’d have to disable security in order to install. If I had known that, I would have never purchased it. Being that this is an office, we cannot have any security down. I literally just ordered it, and would like a refund. Can you please go ahead and cancel our order? I can get you all the information you need.

I cannot find a phone number to call so unfortunately, I have to ask via this forum.

Thank you for your help.

Jackie

UPDATE - I just found an e-mail on the forum for refunds - I will contact you that way. Thank you.

Problem TotalFinder 1.7.12 problem em open Zip file.

When double click in a ZIP file appear a windows outside the visor. And i can close them.

TotalFinder has been an integral part of my workflow for years. So, since I don’t want to disable SIP, I spent the last few days looking for alternate ways of achieving at least some of the things TotalFinder did for me pre-El Capitan. And I decided to share my findings, here.

The TotalFinder functions I used the most:

• Tabs: these are part of the normal Finder for some time now.

• Showing/hiding hidden files using some keyboard shortcut: this (and a lot more) can be achieved using BetterTouchTool. It seems to set the corresponding Finder setting and then restart Finder. This takes 1 to 2 seconds, so I’d recommend clicking the ‘gear’ icon next to the shortcut and setting some HUD overlay so you know action is on it’s way. Should all Finder windows be gone after the action, you can fix that by opening Terminal and typing:

defaults write com.apple.finder NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool true

• Cut/Copy/Paste of Files in Finder: I was surprised to learn this is actually possible in Finder. Just copy a file, then paste it somewhere to copy it there, or hold down the option key while pasting to move it there.

• Copying the POSIX path of a file to the clipboard: this can be done holding down the option key while copying a file in Finder.

• Dual Mode / Visor Window: I didn’t use these, but it should be possible to use BetterTouchTool to assign some keyboard shortcut to an AppleScript that makes use of El Capitan’s new fullscreen Split View to show/hide 2 designated Finder windows side by side. I could try to write one, should there be interrest.

I hope this helps someone. :slight_smile:

Is there a reason why you don’t want to install TotalFinder with SIP staying fully enabled? I did so and TF runs fine. None of the updates from 10.11.2 to 10.11.5 have destroyed the installation. As you seem not being afraid to use Terminal this installation mode should be an easy task for you.

You can find the instruction for this installation here:
http://totalspaces.binaryage.com/elcapitan-with-sip

Mike

The reason is: I didn’t know the instructions for TotalSpaces also applied to TotalFinder. So, many thanx for making me aware of that. :smile:

But I think I’ll stick with my new setup. Took me long enough to make things work and it doesn’t look like TotalFinder will receive updates for much longer (or is there yet another blog post I haven’t read?), so things are likely to get … chaotic in the (more or less) long run. Though I really miss the “Folders on top”. :cry:

You might want to check this one out :grinning::

Hi everyone!
Where can ask a question from the developers? or where can I make a wish?
Since I read a lot of comments and have some information about a lot of us have a problem with the opening and renaming shortcuts.
Will u guys doing a command please for the return (enter) button to open a selection, and f2 to rename a selection?
Please

Waiting for your kind answer and thanks in advance!

Hey Mark,

You can ask here, or you can always write support@binaryage.com.

Commander style shortcuts is a common request, so I’ll be sure to look into it.

Thanks for your answer Steve
Just really waiting for it hope it will be in cuz i really love what total finder makes for me cant imagine my working process without it thats the only thing what I miss.

That’s good news, indeed! :relieved: Thanks for sharing that information! :smile:

Not so much of a bug or issue but feature request. I’m a big fan of totalfinder and would like to put in a request that there be a “folders on bottom” as well as “folders on top” option when sorting in a given window.

Interesting request. The feature could have 4 behaviors:

1. Default behavior.
  2. Folders on Top.
  3. Folder on Bottom.
  4. Folder based on sort order (Ascending puts Folders on Top, Descending puts Folders on Bottom).
1 Like