When renaming a file/folder the file/folder below dissappears (TF 1.6.16 OSX 10.9.5)

Hello experts,

I am experiencing odd behaviour when renaming a file or folder. Once the file/folder name is highlighted for editing, the file/folder name immediately below vanishes until the file renaming is completed. I’ve included an image below, but the issue is better illustrated in this 30 second video clip (http://www.screencast.com/t/hPkVmEJFUMji).

Tips and tricks most welcome.

I am using:
Macbook Pro (2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, ample disk space)
OSX 10.9.5
Total Finder 1.6.16

I believe this is a Yosemite bug since it has been around since the first public betas of Yosemite. I know I have reported it several times to Apple via their feedback application but the bug survives. It seems to only be a cosmetic issue though.

I am experiencing this with Mavericks (OSX 10.0.5), not Yosemite.

You say you experience this problem with Yosemite, adding to my personal decision to hold off moving to OSX 10.10.x.

Meanwhile, I have discovered that the symptoms I describe above seem to have disappeared with a reboot. I recall, but did not document, that I had the problem at least 3 times and a reboot “fixed” it (returned behaviour to normal). It was only after the last incident that I posted here.

If it makes any difference, I tend to leave the Macbook on for weeks at at time before a reboot. I don’t know if that might effect the display or not. I’ll watch and report back when/if I see a recurrence.

You, the user, is the person who has to be comfortable upgrading to Yosemite. I understand that. Be careful though. If you are reading sites like this, you are only going to see postings from people having problems. It is not an accurate barometer on the quality of Yosemite. There are millions of users who have upgraded to Yosemite and had no problems with Yosemite. I am one of them. I have been using Yosemite on both my iMac and MacBook Pro since the public beta 1. The installation went well and I found it fun to find and report bugs then track them as Apple progressed though the beta program. I think that my upgrade to Yosemite has been the easiest upgrade I have ever had sans Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8. I find Yosemite very stable and I like the new user interface. I have experienced far fewer problems compared to Mavericks. Perhaps do as I did. Make a partition on your hard drive keeping your current setup and try installing Yosemite on the
other partition. Test it out and I think you will like it.

Thanks for your views on OSX, but let’s not divert ourselves into a discussion of different versions of OSX and the upgrade process or options for running different OSX versions on one system, but rather let’s continue to focus on the behaviour of Total Finder and the issues described above and provide as much information as possible in order to better assist people, far more expert than me, to find the cause/solution.

From this discussion it’s apparent that the symptoms have been my me, with TF 1.6.16 running on OSX Mavericks 10.9.5, as well as by you, with TF running OSX Yosemite.

Could you let us know the specific versions of TF and Yosemite in your situation when the symptoms were observed?

I have the same problem with filename vanishing while renaming (after pressing Enter blue becomes grey/ivisible). It doesn’t happen in “normal” Finder window only in TF. I have Yosemite 10.2 and TF 1.6.17. Any help?

I have the same problem on Mavericks, including another similar issue when files below don’t disappear but the extension is weirdly positioned when editing…

Already a month or so ago I opened a ticket for this.

I hope it gets fixed soon… In general on my whole system currently this is more or less the only issue bothering me.

Non related: I don’t want to upgrado to Yosemite because I’m sure I’ll have 10 issues suddenly, as always… maybe I’ll upgrade in 6 months.

PS: does anyone know when this issue appeared? If it doesn’t get fixed in 2 weeks, I want to downgrade TotalFinder to a working version.

Also here is my post: Cosmetic (but annoying) bug when renaming files

it has screenshots of this and related problem I mentioned…

The symptoms you illustrate in your separate post are the same as I described above.

One thing I did notice is that the problem does not appear when the MacBook initially starts up. I generally tend to leave the MacBook turned on. After some period of time (can’t say how long) I will notice the issue reappears.

Last night I upgraded to FT 1.6.17 and, without a reboot of the system (but of course a re-launching of TF), the symptoms have not appeared. I will report back if/when the symptoms do reappear.

Perhaps anyone with these symptoms could report back letting us know if rebooting the Mac and/or relaunching FT have any effect?

ps: I’m not sure that knowing when the issue first appeared it is germane to discovering the solution, but in my case I noticed it some weeks in advance of starting this thread on December 14, 2014.

I tested 1.6.12 today and the bug was present… further back I won’t go so I will now install 1.6.17 again.

Hello,

I has now been 28 hours since I upgraded to TF 1.6.17 and the symptoms have reappeared.

Strangely, when I noticed this, the filename/foldername TWO below the one I was renaming was blanked out, rather than the one immediately below the file highlighted to be renamed.

As I was preparing to take a video of this, the behaviour suddenly reverted to the “normal” symptoms of the filename/foldername immediately below being blanked out. Go figure.

To the good folks at BinaryAge: I understand it is much harder to debug an intermittent problem that cannot be replicated at will, as seems to be the case here. The only consistent thing seems to be that after a while of the Mac being or, or after a while follwoing TF being updated/closed/relaunched, that the symptoms appear. In my current situation that “while” was 28 hours. Maybe this will help.

Hello good folks at Binary Age:

The symptoms I have described (disappearing file names while renaming) are still happening.

Surely I cannot be the only one?

I am at TF 1.6.27 and OSX 10.9.5.

Any ideas?