Wish: Return Finder Labels to Mavericks

Couldn’t agree more. I use colored labels to quickly guide my eye to key folders or files. The little dots waaaay off to the right do me no good at all. I’d love it if TF gave us this feature back.

1 Like

Some time delay between this and the previous post. However, this would still be a very desirable feature to restore back into Mavericks

1 Like

I am also looking for a product that will provide the old Label functionality in Mavericks. I would but TotalFinder in a minute if it did so. If you have a notification list, please put me on it.

I can’t believe that Apple could be so stupid as to remove this feature. What are those guys thinking?

1 Like

Yes! Its absolutely crazy apple removed this from Mavericks. I use the lables all the time to quickly ID folders im working on whats the point of making the table a tiny little dot? (and as someone said, it sits on the RIGHT! of the name)…

I’ll buy totalfinder straight away if this is implimented!!

2 Likes

Colors – whether in sidebar icons or in file labels/tags – help us navigate a GUI, and their abandonment in Apple’s Finder is troubling (The worst part of the implementation is how the little dots float way out at the right, so that if a window is fully expanded, the label’s colored dot is so far away as to be irrelevant). I’ll be very pleased to regain background label/tag colors; I’m already using TotalFinder mostly in order to have quick color recognition in the sidebar…

This is definitely doable. PathFinder has this implemented: http://cocoatech.com/pathfinder/ Can’t wait to see it in Total Finder.

1 Like

+1 FINDER LABELS PLEASE!!!

Those are GREATLY MISSED

55 pages of people agree. Please look in to this. Some guaranteed new customers:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5474093?start=0&tstart=0

1 Like

I want to add my vote to focusing on this as a development priority. I found Totalfinder because i missed the old colored name format that made navigation so easy in large, busy directories. I am giving TotalFinder a trial, and think it would definitely be worth the money with this feature.

BTW, really nice forum software, i like this site.

I totally agree.

I use labels for my WORK, it’s very useful to know if an design has been processed, it’s waiting for customer reaction, needs a modification, whatever, AT A GLANCE, just because the whole line HAS ANOTHER COLOUR. I’m sure Mavericks’ tags are useful for many people, but not for me, I can barely distinguish them, even wearing with my glasses.

So that’s why I’ll stick to Mountain Lion for now.

If TotalFinder provides an alternative to the Mavericks way, I’ll upgrade. Sorry, but I need software, be it OS or whatever, that helps me to solve my problems, not to create even more of them.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

Totally agree. Apple Tags are way less useful to me. And they disappear after I open and close a file. Should be a huge selling point for TF.

I just bought TotalFinder with the belief that it can already color my files. I based this on 2 things: (1) MacRumors post by wolf 10/28/13; and (2) the videos of it from binaryage website, which show the Labels as they appeared in Finder before Mavericks. I am sorry to say that if this feature won’t be available very soon I will need to cancel my subscription. This is the only reason I bought the app.

+1
Please add the label coloring !

+1, it’s the only reason I find TotalFinder (via a search for Path Finder which supports that). I’ve never heard of either before today, but was looking for software that would do the full color for ‘tags’, as I used that to quickly find lots of folders. Disappointed TotalFinder doesn’t support that, I like the feel better then Path Finder.

Would LOVE to see this.

I just sent the following message to http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html:

Look at the image in the following link and tell me: what is the title of the file with the yellow label? https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-23540515-318214/269-111/Screen+Shot+2013-10-27+at+10.51.36+am.png

Now look at this image: what is the title of the file with the blue tag? https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-23540515-318209/310-97/Screen+Shot+2013-10-27+at+9.57.20+am.png

Wasn’t it quicker and more convenient to find the answer to the first question? Now you know why so many Mac users (including me) are clamoring for Apple to bring back the Labels feature. Finding individual files in a list is so much easier when the entire line can be highlighted. You can keep Tags, but please give us the option for Labels, too!

If anyone else wants to reuse this message when sending feedback to Apple, please do!

Here’s hoping the folks at Apple will get the message and pay attention!

Do you still have plans to do this?

Yes, actually I’m much closer to do it. You could see quite some activity on beta channel recently:
http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes

I have rediscovered a way how to mark cut items and change them to grey in ListView when you use Cut&Paste feature of TotalFinder. I now understand much better structure of Finder views in Mavericks version of Finder. This will enable me to implement this technically. I just have to dedicate some time to work out the details.

Darwin. glad to hear that. Fingers crossed. Remember that the tags and labels feature seem to be interlinked, since tags show in some other apps as color labels and color labels in apps like pathfinder or forklift show as tags in Mavericks Finder.

Add me to the long list of people who are sorely missing this capability after an ‘upgrade’ to Mavericks.

I found this product (& discussion thread) via the long (and growing - now at 70 pages!) discussion on Apple Support. It looks like it’s going to be either TotalFinder’ or ‘Path Finder’ that folks will turn to, near term. Please let us know how close you are to implementing this feature. Thanks.

I’ve been using Mavericks since December. I’ve suddenly realised that I missed the color labels. The color dots for tags are hard to see, which is slowing down my workflow. I would appreciate if the developer can bring them back. Thanks.