Clicking dock icon or link doesn't switch space

When an application is already open in another space, clicking its icon on the dock doesn’t automatically switch to the space where the application is open. The same is true when clicking a URL: the space does not automatically switch to the browser space.

However, if the application is not open then clicking its dock icon opens the application and switches to the application’s space.

Is there a preference setting to make the behaviour consistent (ie automatically switch to the space of the requested app in all cases, or am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Try this:

Look in Mission Control preferences (in System Preferences). Turn on “When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application”.

Thanks for the suggestion. That setting was already enabled. Interestingly, the problem only arises when an app is already open in another space. It switches perfectly when an app is closed but fails to switch when already open.

The problem only started after installing TotalSpaces.

This may be a known bug - I have seen the problem occasionally happen after a period of use. Restarting TotalSpaces2 fixes it.

Also, I have found that entering Mission Control (and then exiting it) also seems to cure it, at least on my machine.

Let me know if either of these work for you. (Until I find a fix).

Thanks for the quick reply. Sadly, neither worked BUT re-enabling Mission Control DID! I had previously disabled Mission Control (using Onyx > Parameters > Mission Control).