[Feature Request] option to disable up/down trackpad swipes

The TotalSpaces implementation of trackpad swipes works great: it intercepts the system command, then does its own thing, changing the space with TotalSpaces. Then in Mission Control it passes through the system commands so Mission Control swipes still work as expected. So far so good. Better than anything that can be achieved with BetterTouchTool.

But, if the number of columns in TotalSpaces > 1 then up/down swipes change space, so you can’t enter Mission Control with the Trackpad, which I don’t like (I can already reach any space with left/right swipes and circulation enabled).

So I think this would be a good feature, and also probably easy to implement.

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

I use TotalSpaces with 4 finger swiping, and Mission control with 3 finger, so I can use both from the trackpad. Does that configuration help you?

That works, but I don’t like that configuration very much. I feel like desktop change should be only with 4 fingers, otherwise you have to change the hand position after activating Mission Control.

By the way, (this is unrelated): thanks a lot for implementing “Switch to previous space”, it’s very useful!

+1 for me on this request.

I only want to use Left/Right swipe for switching spaces in TotalSpaces. I don’t really think of desktops in up/down terms, and more importantly I have other actions assigned to up/down swipes via BetterTouchTool, which I have been using for a long time. So I don’t want to have to change and re-learn those. (I used to have BetterTouchTool do the left/right a space directly, but I want to use TotalSpaces’ implementation instead, as I’ve disabled transitions.)

With keyboard gestures you allow separate configuration of each direction, so It would be great to get similar here. It probably doesn’t need individual configuration of up/down/left/right, it could be just a dropdown: “Both directions” (default) ; “Left/Right only”; “Up/Down only” (the latter in case someone else wants only that.)

For now I will return to configuring 3-finger-swipe-left and right in BetterTouchTool, but have it send a keyboard shortcut to trigger TotalSpaces’ Left/Right shortcuts. But that has its own disadvantages (doesn’t work in some apps like VNC Viewer that eat keyboard shortcuts when focused), and it’d be much neater to be able to do it direct in TotalSpaces.

Thanks a lot.