Folder on top function

Works beautifully for me! Not only are folders on top, but TF as a whole seems a bit “snappier” now if that makes sense. I also used to get these weird Visor “flashes” (e.g., when dragging a desktop item to the Trash with Visor visible), but those appear gone, too.

Thanks so much, Antonin!

1 Like

Hey folks, please update to 1.5.17. Previous version had some serious crashing introduced by me commenting out some old code (turned out it was important).

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes

@posburn great! I’m glad to hear. I did lot of internal improvements - less hacks, less redraws and simpler code. Hopefully this will enable me to introduce more complex features in the future.

I still have the same problem: cannot sort file by name or any other,
I don’t think its necessary to upload the photo again,
because it’s just the same like before,
my system is mavericks 10.9.1, Chinese version
I am thinking that maybe because the language is Chinese?

So the Folders on Top is working now with version 1.5.18. Great job…

One behavior that is continuing is on Column view with Arrange by Kind and Sort by Name, it immediately sorts by Date Last Opened even though it is set to Sort by Name. If I click on another folder and then come back to the folder I was viewing, it then sorts by Name. I was going to call Apple Support to see if this is some issue with Mavericks but am afraid they will try to blame it on TF. Any thoughts? Again, I appreciate your hard work in fixing these problems…

So you can see very clearly from this photo,
I am very sorry to tell you that it doesn’t work on this version,
and I don’t know why…
could you please help us out…
Thank you!

@cameljok could you please test that scenario with plain Finder.app? Use CMD+OPT+ESC to kill Finder.app with TotalFinder and it will restart as a plain Finder.

thank you for your concern!
here is my plain Finder.app scenario

I sorted by Type or name or any thing, but it is just the same, folder not on top.
thank you again~

@Lai_Natsuki I will investigate your issue. I just had to release 1.5.19 on stable channel to provide good version for people upgrading OS X to 10.9.2. Stay tuned.

100% understand~!
and by the way, this problem continues on Mavericks 10.9.2

I killed and relaunched Finder (without TF running). In Column view, it exhibited the same behavior so the issue is with OSX and not TF. I could contact Apple tech support to see if they have any info on this.

1 Like

@Lai_Natsuki I have just released v1.5.21 which fixes the issue. The problem was in encoding Chinese strings.
http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes

Thanks for helping to resolve the issue!

eventually, it is fixed!!
I can not tell you how happy I am now, hahahaa,
this issue has been there for months,
now no more in my iMac and Mac air,
Magnificent!
And thank you all~!!

Great!

Personally I wouldn’t call it an issue. It is a new feature. TotalFinder never claimed to sort “groups”. Historically it has been sorting files in plain (non-grouped) view.

You know I am Chinese,
not good at English,
please don’t mind my poor language.
Sorry for that~
anyway, happy that you’ve concern this!
have a good day!

I’ve been experiencing the same problem with select folders (mainly Documents). Running OSX 10.9.5 and Total Finder 1.6.16. It’s been happening across a couple of releases. Any thoughts or suggestions? Screenshot attached.

@JSteffan I’m a bit slow today. What problem do you have exactly on the screenshot?

Hey @darwin - sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the folders on top function. Doesn’t seem to be working for my Documents folder.

This is my first post to this forum. I am a VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER with Total Finder, however, it seems that TotalFinder doesn’t always properly put “Folders On Top”. It works in most folders, but not in some folders. I am using the latest version 1.6.16. Do you have any suggestions as to how to get it to properly sort ALL folders with “Folders On Top”? Here’s a screenshot (example):