Yes yes, I feel the same way.
I simply cannot deal with it, I wish we could be able to open a new window with a double click.
1. Yes the checkbox in the Finder preferences is unchecked
2. Yes the tabs of TotalFinder are disabled
3. Yes I know about Right click -> Open in New Window
4. Yes I know about Command/Apple Click to open in a new window
5. Yes I know about hiding the toolbar (right click window chrome -> hide toolbar)
6. And yes, I need to make the experience of Finder messing up window sizes daily, just because I forgot about pressing command before clicking.
No, there is no solution. I really looked forward to finding this in your software, but no. Sad.
Why are they (whoever that is), trying to push us out what worked since the 90s?
Because new windows aren't diverse enough or what? Because iOS and watchOS users would be "confused" (sic!) by a new window without having to go the longest way imaginable?
This stuff is BEYOND ANNOYING (I'm looking in Apple Inc.s direction here).
Please Stephen, be the saviour.