Minimum window width

Hi, I’m trialing TF, and would like to ensure that it can do what I currently do with Finder.

I keep many Finder windows open on a desktop, all laid out nicely using divvy. I use a script to remove the left side toolbar, and reduce the width, so just the filenames show, in a tall thin window.

tell application 'Finder'
  tell front window
    set toolbar visible to true
    set {x1,y1,x2,y2} to bounds
    set toolbar visible to false
    set bounds to {x1,y1,x1+300,y2}
  end tell
end tell

With TF, the script works, but as soon as I resize the window even a pixel’s width, which divvy will do when laying out, the window pops to a very wide “minimum width” window that cannot be made smaller. It’s even wider than stock Finder’s minimum (before I run my script).

I’m really hoping there’s a workaround for this, to size narrow windows. Otherwise it’s a showstopper for me.

Thanks.

In Terminal.app set this plist tweak:

defaults write com.binaryage.totalfinder TotalFinderDontEnforceMinSize -bool yes

And then restart Finder via CMD+OPT+ESC and launch TotalFinder.app again.

To remove this tweak

defaults delete com.binaryage.totalfinder TotalFinderDontEnforceMinSize

If you set size too small it could break visual layout of Finder/TotalFinder views (a visual glitch).

Thanks for the quick reply, but it doesn’t work. (OS 10.8.5)

I can size the window narrow with my little script, but then like before, if I widen it just a hair with the mouse, it jumps wider, and can’t then be resized smaller.

I just tested your script with TotalFinderDontEnforceMinSize tweak on my 10.10.4 system and it works for me.

Minimal TotlaFinder window size in this case is 80x40 px. When I resize it using your script the width changes to 300px (height stays the same) and I can resize it by dragging edge of the window and it does not jump.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to 10.8 system here and I don’t support it anymore.

What version of TotalFinder do you use? If your version is lower than 1.6.15 you have to do this instead:

defaults write com.apple.finder TotalFinderDontEnforceMinSize -bool yes

Prior 1.6.15 TotalFinder settings were stored in Apple’s Finder plist.

I’m using your latest, downloaded today. 1.6.17.

I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon, so I guess it’s goodbye for now. Thanks for your help!