Problems with TotalSpaces2 on 10.11 and SIP disabled

I finally upgraded to El Capitan (10.11.4) on my work Mac Pro 5,1. After following the instructions for running TotalSpaces with SIP enabled, TotalSpaces 2.3.9 starts but does not work properly.

I first deleted all desktops from Mission Control. Then opened TotalSpaces and Preferences. Layout says “You need 16 Desktops, You have 16 Desktops”. The plus and minus buttons for Rows and Columns don’t work.

Another time after a re-boot it said “You need 1 Desktops, You have 0 Desktops”. And I could add 3 rows but no columns. When I clicked “Add Desktops”. I got the message “Could not create all requested desktops. The system limit is 16 (plus specials)”.

Also, nothing happens when I choose “Overview Grid” in the Menu bar menu.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Strange. I would like to see the output of Console.app, but since it might be sensitive, I suggestion sending that to us via email: support@binaryage.com

My first suggestion, without knowing more, is to make sure you don’t also have a file at /Library/ScriptingAdditions/TotalSpaces.osax. You only want the one at /**System**/Library/ScriptingAdditions/TotalSpaces.osax

2 Likes

That did the trick! I had the file TotalSpaces.osax in both places.

Thanks,
Patrick

Hey BinarySteve

I have exactly the descripted problem too.

But, mine doesn’t create the TotalSpaces.osax in the /System/Library/… folder, but creates it self when writing mac os user code, onopening totalspaces, in just the /Library/Scrip…

Is it maybe because i’m still in trail mode.

Hey doc911

Which one of them did you leave ?

I can’t get mine into /System/ folder one.

Hi,

Use the Finder and choose “Go/Go to Folder”, and paste the following address, then hit return:
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/ScriptingAdditions

This should take you to the correct folder. This is where TotalSpaces.osax should reside.

Hey BinarySteve

I’m having the same issue as scheldejonas. TotalSpace is generating the *.osax ONLY in the /Library/ScriptingAdditions NOT in the /System/Library/…folder.

Any suggestions?

Carlos