Total Spaces in Yosemite having problems

Good news, and an interesting result. It turns out you have 2 processes claiming to be Dock running. One is pid 324 and the other (correct one) is pid 4890. This must be normal for your system (across many reboots etc), but it is still something I’ve never seen before. I will leave the code in that discards the first pid, but I would be interested if you see 2 dock processes in Activity Monitor. (Use the search box and type dock there)

1. Offsets for + and - sounds like some kind of bug, could you explain what you are seeing?

2. I have no idea what algorithm OS X uses to order its menu bar icons, but it seems usually most recently launched on the left. Anyway, on my menu bar TS2 is most often at the left.

3. The uninstaller doesn’t delete your prefs in ~/Library/Preferences/com.binaryage.TotalSpaces2.plist. To be super-clean you can do this, but in most cases it’s more convenient to leave it be.

4. The overview grid speed is heavily dependent on the number of windows you have open, just due to the sheer amount of work to be done by the window manager. So it may slow a little later.

Thanks for being so persistent in helping me understand this problem!

Here is a picture of the activity monitor for Dock:

and grep-ing the for dock I get the following:

a@Cheetah ~$ ps aux | grep dock
a          4893   0.0  0.1  2586304  23728   ??  Ss    8:41AM   0:00.23 /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.dock.extra.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.dock.extra
dejanew          7576   0.0  0.0  2450180    692 s000  S+    9:59AM   0:00.00 grep dock

I couldn’t find the pid 324 this time (could have gone away, unsure).

1. The picture of what this looks like is in the very first post at the top of the page.
  2. Me neither :slight_smile:
  3. OK
  4. Nice to know!

Well, pid 324, the great mystery. Thanks for checking with ps also; clearly that process does not exist.

Possibly this is some strange bug in AppKit that is causing an old process to be returned (we are using the NSWorkspace runningApplications API).

Anyway - regarding question 1 - the image at the top of the thread shows nothing at all in the layout prefs - is this what you are seeing?

No, I am seeing the 4x2, but I am talking about the + and - buttons in the grid layout. They just are off. Not a big deal, but that is what I thought was a clue that something was wrong when I first had the problems. Not sure if it has always been that way, just thought I would let you all know.

Ah got it - there is indeed a strange graphic effect there. Thanks, I’ll get that fixed.

Had the same problem, this fixed it for me also. Thanks.