TotalFinder hangs (or crashes) Finder at startup

@Erick_Gabriel could you please go and test all beta versions. You could use bisecting method to find the first one which started this behaviour.

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes

It should be somewhere after 1.5.20 (I believe this version does not have this issue)

Also you could send me your ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist to support@binaryage.com

Thank you.

I didn’t have a lot of time to do all of the installs, but I tested the following
1.5.20 (I jumped to this one since you thought it might just work. Due to the time I had.)

I was installing them in reverse and all would crash Finder once I enabled Tabs Plugin. 1.5.20 presented the strangest behavior when I enabled tabs and restarted Finder. It never displayed just the Finder CPU utilization behavior like the others did. It showed multiple tabs, almost like a Finder window on top of a Finder window. But all of them caused Finder in Activity Monitor to show 100% CPU Utilization. But it was 1.5.20, tested thus far, that seems like it was trying to run multiple Finders at the same time. Very odd behavior, the window on top was flashing or flickering over and over. I will try the others tomorrow as I have time. Hoping this might help you for the time being.

I am thinking this problem has something to do with 10.9.4. May be Apple changed the way Tabs work in Finder for this version? You might have to investigate that with them. Tomorrow I will try other versions in the list and see what happens.

Thanks,
Erick

I have now tested these versions.

All cause Finder to crash just like the others do. I will test more later today.

Thanks,
Erick

@Erick_Gabriel thank you

I might be really related to 10.9.4 update. Please also check items in your sidebar. Don’t you have any special items there? Some link to a server or remote location?

Other than the typical sidebar Favorite items, such as, Air Drop, All My Files, Applications, Desktop and so on. In Devices I have my Time Machine mount to USB Drive. For Shared: I have my USB drive on my Airport Extreme and my HP multi function Printer a HP Officejet Pro 8500.

Screen shot to show you directly.

Thanks,
Erick

defaults write com.apple.finder TotalFinderDontRestoreTabsState -bool yes

I can confirm this on multiple computers at our studio. Without changing anything else, this fixed the hangup probme for me and my team. Computers were upgraded to 10.9.4 and TotalFinder 1.6.2 and TotalFinder no longer would launch, just hang. Rolling back to 1.6 didn’t fix it either. But after entering this single line in Terminal on affected machines, problem solved. Thanks darwin!!

Excellent! Sev’s method worked. It has solved the problem. TotalFinder works like normal again.

Thank you!
Erick

Worked for me as well!

As of yesterday it stopped loading entirely on my system. I have yet to see stable behavior in Yosemite public beta. When it was working, my finder windows would change size when opening a second tab. Now it will not load at all; I get no error messages, just no response.

I re-downloaded the .dmg from this site and it has (at least for now) resolved the problems. This is the first time that applying an update through the app’s native dialog turned out so badly. Not sure what happened but will continue to monitor.

I am unable to use Total Finder on Yosemite Beta2 please Help

Still having recurring hang-ons with Mavericks Finder 10.9.4.

The latest update in dev history is given to be totalfinder 1.6.9 but I’m able to update only to 1.6.8.

There is label yosemith beneath the entry. Is .9 not for mavericks ?

Thanks for all the work.

Please read my explanation here:

I was having the same issue on 10.9.4 with totalfinder 1.6.2 but running the above command in Terminal resolved the hanging issue. Question will this command need to ran each time I do an Update?

No. It is one-time setting. This will cause TotalFinder not to try restore tabs to the configuration when TotalFinder/Finder was quitting last time.

When I open TotalFinder in Yosemite Beta (repeatedly) , I get the message that native “Finder has quit unexpectedly using Toolkit” or some such. .

Are you sure you have installed the latest beta?
http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes#latest