Unplugging external monitor converges both 1st spaces into 1st internal space

Ohhhh is that what’s been happening?! I was about to start a new thread on “why in the world can’t I get 1:1 desktop matching between 3 monitors and only 1?”. When I set up everything right on 3 monitors (2 external) and then unplug them, there are missing desktops so everything gets munged. I usually have 4+4+4 desktops, but only 12 with internal-only. That makes since if space 1 from each external gets “merged” and explains my confusion why all these apps seems to be all over each other.

If I stopped using desktop “1” on the 2 externals and used the other 3 spaces (or more I suppose) the chaos would probably be better but it’s hard to avoid using the primary. :\
I feel like this worked years ago until Apple of course made more random changes that break things and solve little. Grrr

Yes, the desktop merging is confusing and mostly unnecessary. This could be solved better I think, I hope apple consider it.

Couldn’t TS2 just … add a desktop for each missing when you unplug monitors? So I don’t have to do it manually, only to have the reverse issue when I get back to work.
It’s software - anything’s possible! :wink:

I was frustrated because I use a 9x9 grid (yep, 81 separate spaces!) and this would throw off the grid alignment on my MacBook Pro when I unplugged the external display. My solution to prevent this was to have a row with only one space on my MacBook (one row with nine spaces and another row with a single space under it on my MacBook, and eight rows with nine spaces each on my external monitor, for a total of 9x9 when combined), so that when the first space disappears on the external display after it’s unplugged, the single-space row on the MacBook compensates for the space that disappears, and all the spaces are still in their correct position in the grid (with the exception of the windows on the disappearing space getting transferred to the first space on the MacBook, but I don’t tend to use the first space on the external monitor to store windows more permanently for that reason).