[Update Discussion] TotalFinder 1.15.1 for Apple Silicon and Intel — macOS 13, 12, 11, and 10.15

@Damijan Apologies for the late reply — somehow I didn’t receive an email notification for your reply here for some reason.

You can send the resulting file to the email that the diagnostics script shows (karen@akemi.ai).

【Important announcement regarding TotalFinder and macOS 13 Ventura】

TotalFinder is not yet compatible with macOS 13 Ventura, which releases on 2022/10/24.

If you want to continue using TotalFinder, stay on macOS 12 Monterey for the time being. You will still continue to receive security updates from Apple.

※ There are a few technical challenges beyond the usual ones that come with a new major macOS version and accompanying refactored Finder that still need to be addressed before TotalFinder will be ready for macOS 13 Ventura.

tl;dr: Don’t update to macOS 13 Ventura yet if you want to use TotalFinder.

2 Likes

Hi Karen I actually already emailed you at that address but I’d just done so again. Hope you get it!

Running the danger of appearing as a demanding non-paying customer :wink:, any idea when the Ventura-compatible version might be out?

1 Like

Under Ventura on an M1 MBP I’ve noticed that although the installer installs the background process labelled for Antonin Hildebrand and it will show as being installed, that this process only stays installed for a few seconds and then it is removed from the list. Reinstalling TF puts it back into the background process list, but the same thing will happen again (and again and again). Everything else in the installation process shown goes without error. And, the TF options box never shows up in Finder->Settings no matter what.

I’ve been unable to figure out what’s removing it.

@CasualDeveloper

Ughhhhh pain. This is most likely because of the new bridgeOS (T2/iBridge) update that shipped with macOS 13.

It’s affecting macOS 12 (and probably 11) as well because bridgeOS actually exists completely separately from macOS, and can be independently updated as a result.

I’ll update the documentation to accommodate the new bridgeOS update soon.

(Also, uh… there’s quite a significant amount of identifying information in your screenshot. You might want to obscure it.)

@Damijan

Ah, got your second email. I managed to find your original email too — it got erroneously mixed into the BinaryAge forum notification email thread, so I didn’t see it the first time around. Sorry about that!

(Your email client added In-Reply-To and References header fields that were referencing this thread for some reason.)

@Joe_Bloggs

Giving ETAs is a bit difficult, unfortunately — there’s too many factors.

Hopefully a beta release will be available in about 3 or 4 weeks, but that number is really just a made-up vague target that I would like to hit — it’s not at all based on anything.

@pcolvin15

By “background process”, are you referring to TotalFinder.app?

:pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

2 Likes

I also hoping for the update for Ventura.
It’s a damn mess to handle a huge amount of files with several hundred Finder windows you have to move around one by one, no cut/paste, no file color coding (tagging)…etc.
I can’t find (quick identify ) my color coded (tagged) files well with only a dot …

If there is use of beta testing / bugreporting, I can help as a beta tester.

So, THANKS in advance

Nurb2Kea

1 Like

Hi Karen,

Thanks for telling me! Can’t seem to edit my post anymore, so I’ve attempted to delete it.

1 Like

By “background process” I’m referring to whatever it is that the login item for Antonin Hildebrand represents. The login items list will show “Antonin Hildebrand” for a few seconds and then it will disappear. Also, there is no TF options section showing in Finder->Settings.

On the new 13.1 beta from this evening it doesn’t even show up, although there is now an entry for agent_events (item from unidentified developer). Can’t say that this has anything to do with TF as even the login items for Intego have the same item from unidentified developer note, but TF still loads and can be seen under Activity Monitor, and still nothing in Finder->Settings.

1 Like

Thank you, today I managed to get TF working after installing macOs Ventura 13.1 (22C5033e).
Tabs work ok, I know that it isn’t compatible with Os 13

1 Like

@oscaro Please share what you did to get TF working on Ventura.

@oscaro Yes, please share it!!!

He said:

I’m not running the macOS beta. So I’ll keep my fingers crossed that when Apple releases public 13.1, TF will magically start working.

cmd+x working as well? May I ask you which steps did you do? I’m on 13.1 but it does’t work

Hi, @eBara I just followed the instructions, It took me a few attempts to make it work, not having any security concerns, csrutil is disabled, also I have run the command sudo nvram boot-args=“-arm64e_preview_abi”, TF is partially running Just the multiple tabs.

I tried TF with Ventura 13.1 Beta 1 and found out this:

As soon as I select one of the checkmarks in the FileBrowser settings TF does not work any more. Leaving these checkmarks alone it seems to work.

BTW, you can delete com.binaryage.totalfinder.plist in the library to reset this setting if TF does not work.

Perhaps someone can try this as well with and without the Beta and give some feedback here.

Greetings
Thomas

That’s too bad. The File Browser features are the whole reason I use TF.

1 Like

Well, all those hacks don’t make sense workwise. As @Ricko said, that’s one of the reasons we use TF.
Cut/Paste, Colored lables, Tabs merging/combining etc.

Let’s wait with what solution @akemin_dayo is coming up.

1 Like