Wish: Return Finder Labels to Mavericks

Good catch. This will be fixed in next release.

I cannot enforce this, because tags subsystem goes beyond Finder. It is a system-level feature. Right now colored label is defined as color of the last tag applied. I can imagine some external utility sitting in background and watching filesystem events and enforcing some rule like ‘keep only most recent tag’ or something similar. But this is beyond scope of TotalFinder I guess.

Tag colors can be possibly redefined via ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.labels.plist. But this is probably legacy feature which will go away in the next OS release. I don’t know more details and I wasn’t able to google some additional info.

Its very strange that Apple didn’t consider people using full-on labels with Finder items to be used integrally into user’s workspaces for file meaning and visual efficiency!

Makes us wonder why Apple isn’t hiring it’s biggest “users” versus fans to oversee their design department.

Sometimes there are people that want to make change just for the sake of change…whether it’s better for the user or not. This is really bad way to change things.

If you want to see a good example of an editor that makes petty changes which are not for the betterment of a story…this one is a doozy.