TotalFinder status under OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Hi,

First of all many thanks for the TotalFinder. It is very helpfull.

The «Folders first» sorting mode ceased functioning. Files and folders are sorted alphabetically instead, Latin names going first. It kept working properly under version 1.7.3. It stopped under v1.7.5 and is still malfunctioning under v1.7.7. (MacOS 10.11, Russian locale, MBP 13" mid 2012).

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Denis

Any chance the Folders on Top feature got disabled in your TotalFinder? Default shortcut is CMD+SHIFT+;.

I have just tested it here on my machine with 1.7.7 and Russian locale and it seems to work just fine.

Another daily update TotalFinder v1.7.8:
http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes#latest

This one is a candidate for release to all on stable channel.

Great version… It seems to do the trick for me.

there are still some occasional issues with this version for the folder-on-top feature. Also the finder doesn’t show the right folders when clicking on “reveal in finder” a specific file from another application.
Best

Hi Darwing,

Thanks the work done until now despite Apple’s new show stoppers (SIP). :smile:

Bug reporting:
As previously mentioned by email, the size of the column “Name” in list view goes back to default size once I move out of the folder despite that I adjust the length to the desired one. You once mentioned to me that it was an issue already identified, do you have this bug coming up in the list of those to be squashed?

Update:

I just noticed that if I double click on the edge of the column to resize the width to the longest file name, Total Finder will remember, but if I resize by dragging, then TF forgets. Is this value stored somewhere that can be used to address this bug?

Mauro

Thank you so much for the valiant effort to keep TotalFinder alive ! I have turned OFF SIP and running 1.7.8 and that is filling my needs. Awesome work mate !!

1 Like

Thanks for all your hard work - I waited a little while, did some reading on SIP, and then decided to turn it off when I realised none of the comparable products came close to the awesome workflow of TotalFinder. I hope you continue to develop it … and if not in it’s current incarnation, perhaps it’s time to create a Finder replacement instead of an augmentation? I know loads of people who would buy that.

October 17. Using El Capitan with an iMac. Installed Total Finder (1.6.27) today, bought a license etc. It won’t install. I keep on getting an error message, and when I exit the message I find my Finder has quit.
I tried your workaround http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/system-integrity-protection , following the instructions to the letter, and it hasn’t made any difference whatsoever. I keep on getting the same message.
In other words: I can’t use Total Finder. So for the moment it’s been a waste of time and money.
And yet the home page made it seem straightforward enough, and carried no particular warning.
Reading the posts on the subject is depressing, since I don’t understand most of them. I tried, until I realised that I shouldn’t have to read it all. Total Finder should just work, but it doesn’t.
Will there be a fix some day soon to make Total Finder usable by me, a member of the general public, without needing to understand the arcane comments on this page? Or at least, will you put a warning on your home page so that other unfortunates don’t have the same problem as me?
Thanks,
Xavier

Hi Xavier,

I’m sorry for such a bad experience purchasing/using TotalFinder. You are using an old version which cannot possibly work under El Capitan.

I wonder if you saw some old version of homepage or bought the software via some third party site? Current TotalFinder version is 1.7.8 and it is compatible with El Capitan after disabling System Integrity Protection:

There is a red warning below the download button. Also you have a red warning in installer and you get another warning after installing the software. Also you are supposed to use 14-day trial version to test if the software fits your needs before purchasing.

Unfortunately version 1.6.27 is too old to contain any knowledge about El Capitan and its new system protection mechanisms. All TotalFinder users are encouraged to update TotalFinder as soon as possible because of nature of the software. It modifies Finder.app so it has to be kept updated for proper functioning. I believe all this is properly described in the documentation: http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/about.

1 Like

So, When you will be a total compatible version of TotalFinder to “El Capitain”?

If by “total compatible” you mean working without requiring user to tweak System Integrity Protection, the answer is never.

I’ve tried very very hard to use ElCapitan without TotalFinder but its no good, I’ve done the SIP work around and Total Finder is back!!
I really don’t care what SIP does if it means I have to seriously compromise the way I work, Total Finder is essential to me, it was like loosing a limb without it.
I had to go look up my original order to see how long its been since I used OSX without TF…27/09/2010…no wonder I felt so lost with out it, 5 years!!, and now I feel a bit guilty for having used it all this time without having to pay for an upgrade so…

I just got another licence for the hell of it, its not much but it should get you coffee :slight_smile:
Thanks @darwin

2 Likes

I completely agree with you. I’ve been using El Cap for 2 days and thought after reading @darwin message about not maintaining the app anymore that I might try to live without it. FINDER is the worst. I remember almost 10 years ago when I made the switch from Windows to OS X, I thought that Finder was Apples biggest weakness in comparison to Window’s file explorer. A couple years later a class mate was using TotalFinder and my eyes popped out of my head at how awesome TotalFinder was. I dropped some cash right then in there and have added TotalFinder to every single Mac I buy, and I show it and sell it heavy to every single Mac user I know and come across.
I’m going to go through the work around of disabling SIP today so I can re-install TotalFinder and I’ll drop some money on another license just cause. I hope that you can find a way around SIP, or even head over to Kickstarter and look for funding for just creating a full blown Mac App that replaces Finder.
• I love the keyboard shortcut to bring up TotalFinder/visor
• I love the Cut, Copy, Paste feature (how the hell does Finder still not have keyboard shortcuts to do this)
• I love the split screen feature
• I love Folders on top
As a fellow developer I know how it is to support a long term project and totally get with wanting to sunset something that’s had a good run, but for me I cannot live apparently with out TotalFinder (And TotalTerminal, so I’m hoping a disabled SIP let’s me have that Gem back), so hopefully you have enough people begging you to keep it going that you might re-think sunsetting the app.

1 Like

I feel the same way :smile: BinaryAge makes some of my favourite apps and I hope you can get them to work with El Capitan and/or create new ones that do :smile:

EDIT: Probably some other Hack had disabled System Integrity Protection. Original Post below is obsolete.

My TF launches fine since I manually added it to system preferences > users and groups > login items.

If there are no other problems, I think I can live with doing that after every (re)install.

TF 1.7.8
OS 10.11.1 (15B42)

Thank you @darwin for continuing to support it even for a little bit under El Capitan!

I just wanted to let you know that there’s a small issue: When I “Reveal in Finder” from Xcode, whether it’s from the files list (Project Navigator) or from within the Preferences > Accounts > Team and then right clicking on one of the provisioning profiles and selecting “Show in Finder”, it only opens the top level folder but doesn’t go deep enough to where the file actually is.

If I quit TotalFinder and do the same “Reveal/Show in Finder”, it picks up the correct file location.

Note: This is after disabling the SIP as described by you.

<3 TotalFinder!

Thanks. Please use the latest beta. The issue should be fixed by 1.7.9 release:
http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes#latest

TotalFinder has been a godsend. I can’t imagine Mac life without it.

I’ve looked over some of the other options and I’m unimpressed. Mostly because they don’t sync directly with Finder itself (I realize this is why were are now having this issue.) Cut, Copy and Paste, as others have mentioned, is great.

Definitely willing to pay for an upgrade should you be willing to take on a new version.

If this is the end then I understand and thanks for all the hard work thus far!

1 Like

Me, too!