Am I supposed to re-enable sip after a successful installation of totalfinder?

I tried to do so because some source says you could re-enable sip after installation, but it says totalfinder is unable to run with sip enabled.

It was possible before macOS 10.14 (Mojave). Since Mojave it is no longer possible.

See the difference between these doc pages:
https://totalfinder.binaryage.com/sip
https://totalfinder.binaryage.com/sip-sierra

OK thank you for your help. In this case, I have to keep sip disabled all the time to keep totalfinder working?

What is your macOS version? If you have the latest 10.14 (Mojave) then the answer is YES.

Yes, i have 10.14 on my laptop. Thank you for your help.

You can re-enable SIP in 10.14 and 10.15 (Catalina) You have to use two switches. The syntaxk is: sudo csrutil enable --without fs —without debug (those are double - ).

So instead of simply typing in Terminal ‘csrutil enable’ as Darwin’s instructs say (and as I have done in the past), you are saying do two entries (switches) to re-enable?:

‘sudo csrutil enable --without fs’
‘sudo csrutil enable --without debug’

You don’t have to break it into two commands. Just copy what I wrote and paste it into terminal. Switches are additive. Type it the way I posted: sudo csrutil enable –without debug –without fs

As an aside to this, I find version 1.11 of TotalFinder to be more stable than 1.12. I updated version 1.11 to 1.12, set the switches the way I preferred and the uninstalled it and reverted to 1.11. Not to say this works for everyone but it seems to be working for me.

Ken is correct. Use single command. You must not break it into two.

Please see this blog post, “Technical details”:
https://blog.binaryage.com/sip-and-mojave/

Last clarification: How do I remove tears of joy from my trackpad?

:joy:

Because my company manages our laptops with a Microsoft tool (Company Portal) that required SIP enabled, I have not been using TF for almost a year. I got about 80% of the way there using Pathfinder. But it just wasn’t the same.

I am so glad you both posted this Terminal command. I shall place my MBP in the summer sun, dry those ‘welcome back’ tears away, and try to hold back any new ones as I start using my trusty TF again.

Joy!!

Thanks again (the weekly Forum digest really came in handy this time!)

1 Like

Incidentally, once you do reinable SIP using those switches, you can upgrade Total Finder without disabling SIP. I also remove a bunch of crap programs that Mac (following no doubt in the foootsteps of MS insists on installing). When you have SIP reenabled with those two switches, you can remove any unwanted program from Catalina by doing the following:

1. To make the System partition available: sudo -uw /
  2. enter your password when requested
  3. cd /System/Applications
  4. ls (just to see the programs installed)
  5. Delete unwanted apps by using: sudo rm -rif appame.app
  6. Hit enter, et viola, the app is gone.
    When you’re finished, restart and the orphan icons will go away.

I delete Chess, Home, News, Siri, Podcasts, TV, Stocks, VoiceMemos for my users because they have no need for those programs. If they need any of that stuff, they can uses their personal computers.

Arghhhhh! I just noticed that the command to make the System partition is not complete. The corrected command is: sudo mount -uw /

Sorry.