Automatically Switch Configurations

Hi! I am trying to find a way to automate DisplaySpacesManager so it automatically switches between 3 saved configurations (e.g. homeoffice, corporate and laptop-only) based on on what monitor is connected. It’s just a laptop with one external screen in each location.

Does TotalSpaces/DisplaySpacesManager support apple script? If it did I’d need to figure out how I can do this.

Alternatively, I use Keyboard Maestro and could do most of the task through that (it simulates all the key strokes and mouse movements needed) but still trying to figure out how I could use Applescript to trigger it (detect that a certain monitor is connected) . I have no coding skills apart from copy and paste :slight_smile: - any help and hints would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
David

OK, I realized that DisplaySpacesManager attempts to do this. However, my spaces get all mixed up after every change.

My Dual Display Setup is as follows:
External 24 inch Display with 4 Spaces:

• Main (for everything that doesnt have a dedicated space)
  • Safari (for Safari)
  • Work 1 (so far I move work projects here manually)
  • Work 2 (so far I move work projects here manually)

Internal Display of my Macbook Pro 13 with 3 spaces:

• Main2
  • Comm (Communications for Skype, iMessage etc.)
  • Music (iTunes, Spotify…)

This is all set up nicely. Then I change to “Laptop Mode” (saved as config in DisplaySpacesManager) which should move all the desktops over to the Laptop. Now I have 6 spaces, but “Main 1” disappears. OK, I can live with that.

However, next I plug in the external monitor again and DisplaySpacesManager changes the config correctly. But now my spaces are distributed differently among the two monitors:
External 24 inch Display with 4 Spaces:

• Main (for everything that doesnt have a dedicated space)
  • Work 2 (so far I move work projects here manually)
  • Comm (Communications for Skype, iMessage etc.) - should be on Laptop Display
  • Music (iTunes, Spotify…) - should be on Laptop Display

Internal Display of my Macbook Pro 13 with 3 spaces:

• Main2
  • Safari (for Safari) - should be on External Display
  • Work 1 (so far I move work projects here manually) - should be on External Display

How can I make it so the spaces always show up in the same location? (e.g. I want to know “Music” is always the last on the laptop display). There also seems to be no way to drag or move the spaces between displays, meaning I also can’t move the spaces manually. Any hints appreciated!

Hmm, so it gets the right number of spaces on each screen, but the actual spaces are not correct. If you turn off automatic detection of monitor configuration and manually select the config you require, does that work ok?

I just kept trying - deleting and creating spaces in TotalSpaces and deleting and creating configs in DSM. Now it seems to work most.

However, windows in spaces still get moved around sometimes still. E.g. when I have the dual monitor set up and iTunes is open in the ‘Music’ Space on the laptop screen and I then disconnect the external display, iTunes might get moved to a space with a different name, not the one called ‘Music’…

Very new to TS. Only bought a license a couple of days ago and hoping it does why I bought it…