Big Sur sidebar: Support for custom folder icons

Hi,

I wonder if custom folder icons will be displayed in sidebar on Big Sur? Right now all icons are generic. I do have “Show sidebar icons in color” selected.

I truly hope it will be supported! That’s what I love Total Finder for.

Thanks,
Leo

I will try to implement this. I have it on my list.

1 Like

thanks that will be amazing!

You can get a truly colored sidebar from MacEnhance/MacForge. It’s called ColorfulSidebarX and it works perfectly on Catalina. I haven’t tried it on BigSur, but it’s supposed to work on BigSur too!!! (I’m assuming it’s ok to post this info about a competitor as Darwin has said that they are closing down TotalFinder.)

Thanks for the info!

I’m currently using XtraFinder but it’s good to know there’s another utility around.

One question:

I assume ColorfulSidebarX will display any actual custom icons automatically in the sidebar (just like on pre-Lion systems). Or should I edit a plist file to add any icons at all? It’s not immediately clear from the description there.

I got super frustrated with XtraFinder (I switched after TotalFinder stopped supporting the colored sidebar) as it was crashing and there is no support from the developer. ColorfulSidebarX displays the custom icons automatically…no messing around with plists. And it’s super cheap if, like me all you are after is a colored sidebar.

I finally installed ColorfulSidebarX (as XtraFinder stopped working on Monterey).

Wow this thing is great. Not only does it restore normal icons in the Finder sidebar - but also in the Save/Open dialogs, and in the Finder Go menu.

Wish I installed ColorfulSidebarX earlier!

Plus it’s open source. Being myself a developer, it opens further opportunities to modify undesirable UI changes.

Leo_B. so glad it worked for you!!! Just a word of warning. Earlier this week, I had to buy a MacBook Pro M1 for temporary use while my computer was being fixed by Apple (for the third time in 3 months!!!). ColorfulSidebarX does NOT work with the M1 chip (something to do with being unable to disable SIP, I think). I did get the impression that they were working on it, so might solve the issue soonish, but if you are a Developer maybe you could work on it too. :slight_smile:

Please help us out and help bring the custom folder icons back. We love your Total finder so any further development of it instead of a whole bunch of additional … plugins will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for the M1 warning, hope it works finally. Btw did you try to disable SIP on M1? Because it’s a different process - you need to hold the power button pressed during startup (not Cmd-R) - as you may know anyway.

It’s not a SIP issue per se. I think there is additional blocking on the part of Apple. MacForge offer some sort of injection method for getting the plug in to work, but I have no idea how to use the suggested method.