Gestures stop working after connecting external monitor

I have a 15" Mid-2012 i7 MBP, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, and Totalspaces2 2.8.5.

With this machine I use an external display (same resolution as internal display, set to “mirror”, and connected via DisplayPort) and a Henge dock. I use Fermata 1.1 (128) to prevent my laptop from sleeping when I place it in the dock.

Every time I put the computer in the dock or remove it, my three-finger gestures to change spaces stop working. I am also using BetterTouchTool to trigger “Instant Expose” via a 4-finger gesture and keypress emulation. This usually still works, but not always.

The workaround I’ve been using is to either quit and reopen Totalspaces2, or open Totalspaces2 Preferences and disable/re-enable the “Swipe to change space” option. The problem never happens again until/unless I connect/disconnect from the dock.

It would be great if this could get fixed. Happy to provide logs or do more behavioral testing if needed.

I’m having the same issue, 16" MacBook Pro.

MacOS 10.15.2, TotalSpaces2 2.8.6. I also figured out the same solution of toggling “Swipe to change space” off and on again. It’s not a huge issue, but it usually happens to me at least twice a day because I use my laptop at the office, plug it in, maybe unplug it for meetings, and then sometimes go home and do something similar where I experience it again.

Also happy to help resolve the issue however I can.

Still experiencing this issue with 2.8.8 on MacOS 10.15.4.

Still happening… Actually I have noticed I think it’s crashing. When I click on the icon, the desktop # disappears. I have to quit and reopen it, which also restarts Finder.

It does restart gracefully; kudos for that.

This is still happening, currently on v2.8.12 and MacOS 10.15.6 (with supplemental update)

I’m not seeing this behaviour at least. The keyboard shortcuts still work fine, just gestures stop working. When I click the icon nothing changes. I just open up TotalSpaces2 and toggle “Swipe to change space” off and on again and it’s back to working. It’s just a nuisance.

Actually another thing I noticed. It’s not plugging in an external display that does it for me. It’s connecting an external trackpad. I use a Magic Trackpad 2 and have to toggle the aforementioned setting every time it’s connected. If my computer turns on with it connected then it’s fine - no surprises there though. I just happened to turn the trackpad on at the same time as plugging in the displays, but in isolation now if I just turn this Magic Trackpad 2 off and on again then the gestures stop working until that setting is toggled.

E: Also just tried 2.9.1 - why not. Still happening there too.

@stephen I see you’ve looked into something similar a long time ago, back in 2014 it seems. Is it possible to fix?