Jumping tabs, drawing errors, etc

TotalFinder has become nearly unusable lately. I experience a lot of problems with TotalFinders Tabs. They move erratically and leave lines behind (like burned-in).
It seems that it is somehow related to the use of multiple monitors. It is much worse, when I have two external monitors connected to my MacBook Pro. One 4k and one standard resolution monitor.

TotalFinder 1.10.2
MacOS HighSierra 10.13

I recorded videos of this behavior:
Tab redrawing issue
Jumping Tabs

1 Like

Hi @rosch, thanks for putting the effort in recording the videos. I was just able to reproduce the issues here on my machine. It looks like I introduced those bugs in the major refactoring of 1.10.0 release:
https://totalfinder.binaryage.com/beta-changes#1.10.0

Now that I know about this glitch, I will be able to fix it for the next release. To me it looks like a visual glitch which happens when you tear-off a tab and then drop it into a window. It can be worked around pretty easily by clicking away and removing focus from a glitched window.

Tab redrawing issue should be fixed in TotalFinder 1.10.3 (beta).

Still need to reproduce the jumping tabs issue to address it properly…

Hi Antonin,
thank you for the fix. The redrawing issue It is much better now. Only had one little glitch, which I was not able to reproduce: Dragging the second tab to the right moved the whole window (in a different speed). You can see this behavior in the first few seconds of this movie:

The jumping tab issue is still there:

In order to reproduce, I click back and forth between the last tab or open a new tab and then click on a folder inside that tab. It does not happen immediately, but after a few iterations.

Hi Antonin,
I just experienced another redrawing issue in version 1.10.3. Please see the attached screenshot.

Any update on the jumping tab issue? It’s really annoying and makes working with TotalFinder tough.
Let me know, if there is anything I can do to support debugging.

I’m sorry, I didn’t really get back to it :frowning:

I have to find some way how to reproduce it on my machines, though.

I got the exact same issues. @darwin: If there is anymore info we can provide for debugging, please tell. I’ve been dealing with this for a couple of months now, and it’s getting to a point where it’s just unusable.