macOS Big Sur and TotalFinder

TotalFinder 1.13.3 works for me on public Beta 10 in a VMware VM on macOS Catalina!

Seems the greyed out dialog may be similar to an issue I just reported:

@jmaynard I can confirm this issue too

Hi @darwin , that’s fantastic news! I was hoping that colorful Sidebar icons could be introduced to TotalFinder, as this is one of the very few features I’m still missing greatly from XtraFinder.

One more question: Is it just me, or does the “Pin Visor” feature not work yet at the moment (except when “Show on top of the Dock” is enabled as well)? Thanks again for everything you do.

yepp, having this issue too.
the dark or milky overlay is on the wrong layer position, maybe supposed to be behind the popup I guess… :slight_smile:

Good information thanks for sharing
vmware

Here is another TotalFinder beta release 1.13.4:

• Fixed dimmed overlay in Big Sur beta 10
  • Fixed some issues with menubar icon, it was highlighed after launch, also had broken dark/light mode switching

I can’t get TotalFinder to start in macOS 11.0.1 beta (released Oct 28th). I recently performed a clean install and it defaulted to downloading this version. There is an error message “Apple Events cannot be delivered” but none of the previously mentioned workarounds are working with this. I see the TotalFinder process is running and permissions are granted in security and privacy settings.

TotalFinder 1.13.4 works for me on public Beta 11.0.1 in a VMware VM on macOS Catalina!

Hmm, maybe library validation is not disabled on your system?

Normally TotalFinder.app should guide you to disable it.

Okay I figured out my issue.
I overlooked a step from way up in this topic.
This step WAS necessary along with the other usual steps:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist DisableLibraryValidation -bool true

1 Like

TotalFinder prior 1.13.5 had broken test if Library Validation is really disabled. I have fixed this and make more improvements in install process (less dialogs to allow), please test the latest version 1.13.6:

Thanks!

1 Like

TF 1.13.6 on Big Sur works almost fine.
One thing that is a bit hard to see, when working with lot of folders and colored lables.

If this could be shifted a bit to the right to see the FOLDER ARROW better, more clear would be great.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve tested TF 1.13.6 on macOS 11.0.1 official release and noticed that the automation script allowing System Events to inject code on Finder failed to launch. Apple changed the way kernel extensions install and load into the system. We know it’s a pre-release build, therefore the app needs a couple of improvements for full compatibility with Big Sur.

To make the app working I’ve installed the stable release then updated to the latest build.

Colourful sidebars worked as expected but a couple of icons such as Downloads, Home and Desktop remain unaffected. Therefore the colour sidebar feature need more work to function properly.

TotalFinder 1.13.7 is here:

I improved the way how it injects into Finder, it can detect that it lost permissions:

1 Like

Hi, I have two problems

1. When I close a tab with the “x” I get a black window without tab name. If I double click the black tab name it opens a new in the same tab.

2. In dual mode, when I enter to a new folder the sidebar disappears and I can not get it back.

Hope this help

1 Like

TotalFinder 1.13.8 is out:

I loaded 1.13.8 on my MBP 16" 2019 and it doesn’t seem to work. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and same. TotalFinder is running but Option-` doesn’t open Visor.

It does, however, work on my older MBP.

Please send me your diagnostics from MBP 16, please follow:

I just performed a clean install of Big Sur and was unable to get the latest builds (tried 1.13.7 and 1.13.8) to to work.

However, I then installed 1.13.0 and then 1.13.8 and that time it DID work. the is something important in 1.13.0 that was removed or significantly changed in a later release that is preventing the security override checks from finishing.