Temporarily Disable TotalFinder

I am trying to troubleshoot whether TotalFinder is interfering with another utility. I’d like to temporarily disable TotalFinder without having to go through the whole uninstall and reinstall later. Is there any way to do that? I can’t find it.

Simply kill Finder.app via CMD+OPT+ESC. TotalFinder won’t get injected again until you open /Applications/TotalFinder.app again.

If you want to stop starting TotalFinder.app during startup, remove it from System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items.

1 Like

That brings up Force Quit. Highlight Finder, press Enter and the macOS finder starts without TF. (a little more information just in case).

2 Likes

My bad. I assumed that’s how to do it, but every time I force quit finder and relaunched, TotalFinder starts up again.

Then I (finally) remembered: Over a year ago, I set up a Keyboard Maestro macro that launches TotalFinder whenever Finder starts (so I don’t have to do it manually when I restart Finder). I had totally forgotten about this macro. Like duh. Easily solved once I remembered about the macro.

Thank you both for triggering my lame memory.

1 Like