TotalFinder aways resets window size and position?

I’m just trying out TotalFinder now, and so far I really like it, except for one BIG thing. Since installing it, now whenever I change the size or position of a window, every window I open afterward is changed to that size and position. I like most of my windows to be in specific positions and sizes, and TotalFinder changing them willy-nilly is really not working for me. If this is the intended behavior, is there a way to switch it off? I fiddled with all the preferences and nothing seemed to change it. Thanks for your help.

So is no one else experiencing this?

I experienced the same thing when I installed version 1.9.3 (I was previously using 1.7.10). All finder windows seemed to effectively be sharing one saved position/size when they opened. I found that disabling tabs fixed this. Unfortunately this also disables dual mode and visor, which I wanted to try. Since I am still running Mac OS 10.10, I am unable to try any newer versions to see if this was ever resolved. Also, I’ll have to go back and look (downgrade versions) to see if this just happened when I enabled tabs in 1.9.3, or did it also exist in 1.7.10. Does anyone know if this is still an issue with newer versions, or if disabling some other less major options makes it work again?

I wonder what you have in ~/Library/Preferences/com.binaryage.totalfinder.plist and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

I used to store TotalFinder settings in com.apple.finder.plist and later decided to move it all to com.binaryage.totalfinder.plist. I can imagine something went wrong in your case and TotalFinder is reading old info from one place and writing new positions into other place, which is never used. Something like that.

You could try to send me TotalFinder diagnostics:

I could try to reproduce it here on my machine.

Sorry, I’m not going to be much help with that anymore. I haven’t used TotalFinder for quite a while now (I found it too much hassle to disable SIP and all that). I’ve migrated a couple of computers since then and don’t even have the old preference files anymore.

1 Like

No worries. Plist confusion does not seem to be the case with Dave. Thanks for responding anyways.

The Finder window remembers the size and position it had from the last time I opened it. I set a preferred size for the window, but sometimes I move it on the screen. It always opens that way the next time. I really like that feature.