TotalFinder Confusion

Initially, I would like to apologize for what I am about to ask. However, I am unable to arrive at at clear understanding after reading about using TotalFinder with el capitan.

I just recently converted to OS X from Windows and learned the Apple file manager sort of sucks --IMO. After reading, etc., I settled on purchasing TotalFinder, but then learned of the problems with el capitan.

Yes, I am aware it will run with modification, but I am unsure if disabling the integrity aspect is wise–given my very, very limited knowledge/experience with OS X.

After reading the forums I am unable to ascertain if TotalFinder will eventually be “fixed” or will it remain a no-SIP or nothing decision.

I appreciate your time.

You’re not alone, there’s a lot of confusion around the state of TotalFinder/TotalSpaces and I’ve been working to help resolve that.

I was working on better documentation and an improved installation process, but then I went down another road that I hope will completely work around System Integrity Protection on OS X 10.11 El Capitan and later. I will certainly announce when there’s something to share.

1 Like

To not2oblique . . . understand your concern as someone new to the OSX environment. From a background of decades of business use of the Mac through it’s operating systems. I grew addicted to TotalFinder long before Apple released OSX 10.11.x a year ago, so was disappointed then to learn of SIP. I bit the bullet and disabled SIP long ago and have been watching for negative repercussions ever since. So far, nada. I personally have no qualms about using the latest TotalFinder with SIP disabled under 10.11.5. Go for it.

BinarySteve,

THANK YOU very much for taking time from your efforts to reply.

Now I know. I will purchase TotalFinder as soon as I finish responding to you and filches cat.

Be well…

filches cat,

Thank for your note.

I have seriously considered disabling SIP, but is so much conflicting information.

At any rate, I believe I will making the leap in just a few minutes.

Thanks…