TotalFinder in 'Open' Dialogs

Hi,

I just purchased a license for TotalFinder and everything is lovely when using it as a ‘Finder’ replacement. However, the main functionality I wanted was to have folders on top for “open” dialogs when trying to open a file in a program like Keynote, or when trying to upload a file using Chrome. Is there a way to force TotalFinder to be used for open dialogs? I’m on OSx Yosemite (10.10.5).

Thanks,
Zach

Hi Zach, thank you for purchasing.

Unfortunately this is technically very different problem. And TotalFinder cannot do that. Open/Save dialogs are implemented in system frameworks, they look like Finder, but they are not part of Finder. To modify their behaviour I would have to potentially inject code into every running application in the system, which sounds as a bit too much. Also some apps are sandboxed and they have different mechanism to interact with Open/Save functionality, which is another complication.

This feature has been requested many times, but I wasn’t able to implement it. I’m sorry.

Hi Darwin,

That’s sad. That kills about 90% of the functionality I was hoping for. I understand the reasoning though.

Thanks,
Zach