TotalSpaces crashes frequently when exiting overview grid

I turn on my Mac. TotalSpaces 2 automatically launches. I may use the overview grid for a dozen of times. But soon, I use the keyboard shortcut to enter the overview grid as usual, then I cannot exit. It freezes. The only thing I can do is press Command+Option+Esc, which doesn’t help anything, or press the power button to force restart.

OS X 10.9.1 (I had the same problem under 10.9.0). MacBook Pro with Retina Display Mid 2012. This issue happens a little bit later after the release of V 2.0.10. I tried to uninstall V 2.0.10 and install V 2.0.7, same problem.

I thought an update would fix it, but I waited for 2 months and it appears that only I have this issue. I googled and search the forum, but I didn’t find any similar issue.

Please help!

Hi, I have heard of a similar issue. It is only happening to a very few people, and seems to be related to the GPU workload. We are figuring out a work-around that should avoid you having to restart, but as I can’t reproduce the problem it’s proving very hard to definitively fix it.

Anyway expect an update shortly (will try to get it out this weekend).

Hi, I have heard of a similar issue. It is only happening to a very few people, and seems to be related to the GPU workload. We are figuring out a work-around that should avoid you having to restart, but as I can’t reproduce the problem it’s proving very hard to definitively fix it.

Anyway expect an update shortly (will try to get it out this weekend).

Thanks a lot. I looking forward to the update. Really can’t work without TotalSpaces.

Hello,
I was able to reproduce one kind of hang in the Dock. I don’t know if it’s the same cause as yours, but at least my hang is fixed in this version:

http://downloads.binaryage.com/TotalSpaces2-2.0.15.zip

If you can try it, I would appreciate some feedback.

One other note - in this version if TotalSpaces notices that the Dock plugin is not responding, it will kill Dock.app so that it restarts. If you are stuck, pressing the grid hotkey again will make TotalSpaces notice, but it may take ~30s for the timeout to happen. But at least this should avoid you having to restart your machine in this circumstance.

Just installed. So far so good! Thanks!

So I used it for two days now. It crashed only once when I’m using dual monitors. Happened after I exit the overview grid. I couldn’t enter overview grid, nor using gesture to shift between spaces. I then quit TotalSpaces. After about a day I reboot it and everything backs to normal.

Ok, thanks for the feedback - definitely an improvement then. I’d be interested in any relevant logs you find in Console.app if that particular hang happens again.

Hello Stephen,

I just want to give you a quick update: since I updated to 2.0.17, everything seems to be perfect! Never crash so far. Thanks so much!

Thanks for the feedback!