TotalSpaces get extremely laggy after 2/3 days uptime

Dear Totalspaces devs,

Im on macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287) and uses a licensed version of TotalSpaces2 v2.8.12

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

I have 6 fixed desktop and after 2 or 3 days uptime the computer is extremely laggy switching spaces and sometimes it requires more than one minute for the overview desktop map to disappear.

The rest of the windowing system is not laggy : within a space everything run fines.

What usually solve my problem, but it’s painful is to quit or kill totalspaces and restart it.

I’ve the impression that TotalSpaces is also doing constant disk writes, is that possible ? At least the activity monitors that totalspace is constantly doing IO, which I find strange for a windowing tool.

Thanks for the great tool !

P.S. By the way could you provide a way of having kde-like/windows-like fullscreen mode for the full screen spaces ? Instead of having them separate having app full screen window covers the space where the app originate from (iterm2 has such a mode)

I think it’s almost certainly a memory usage issue. If you are running memory hungry applications (for instance Docker.app in my case, but could also be applications that use a lot of graphics memory) then it can cause memory pressure that is causing TotalSpaces to be paged out to disk.

In order to show the overview grid all the windows and desktops in the system need to be copied and displayed. Normally this is pretty quickn and works well, but I have seen it get slow on memory constrained systems.

I’m sorry this doesn’t provide you with a solution. Although one thing that can help is to set Desktop backgrounds in the overview grid to None in General preferences.

Oh sorry I made an error in explaining the behaviour. I meant the overview grid, but this isn’t this one that stays active, it’s the “notification graphic on desktop change”. I had the animation on, I’ll try without.

I would say the actual overview grid works still well in the situation where I experience this “Notification graphic on desktop change” that doesn’t disappear.

I mean this :

This panel actually stays active all the time after 3 days uptime. I have the animation on only in this panel not on the switch of desktop, this allows me to understand from where I came and where I went.