TotalSpaces support on MacOS 11 Big Sur

More information about WindowServer and Big Sur :
https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/juqcrd/calling_all_big_sur_users_here_check_windowserver/

I confirm the behavior on my configuration as well. Someone who hasn’t upgraded to Big Sur (which is still on Mojave or Catalina) should tell us if this behavior occurred before Big Sur.

[UPDATE] Tested on a VM with Mojave: no issue like the one described in the article!

Is TotalSpaces going to be updated to work with Big Sur? Or, is it going to be obsolete? I didn’t see anything on the blog or elsewhere to indicate what the status is going to be

TotalSpaces was updated on Nov 8. Scroll back on this page.

I am running into an odd problem in Big Sur-- while I have 4-by-4 in Mojave with dual dual displays in each (desired setup), I can’t find an option to have multiple displays per space in Big Sur. Instead I see a 4*4 on each monitor (not too bad), but then when I unplug I get a 30-some screen grid like the following:

edit to fix unwanted italicization

Ditto and yes TS is generating it.

We don’t have a fix for this (developer tools dialog) at the moment. This is a new dialog that the system shows because we needed to use a different technique to hook into the system in Big Sur.

It is certainly problematic because it shows on every reboot, and can interrupt normal login until you give permission if you have TotalSpaces2 set to start on login.

As TotalSpaces2 nears end of life (because of this kind of added security protections, and no Applie Silicon support) we are working on a replacement, but I don’t have any betas yet - will post in the forum when I do.

2 Likes

Also confirming this works on Big Sur 11.1. Thanks!

I am having a problem with Big Sur on an M1. TotalSpaces shows my laptop display as “unknown” and I am not able to add/remove or switch desktops with TS. This is a completely fresh install with no Time Machine backup and nothing else has been installed. I literally opened this Laptop up from Apple and installed TS first to verify it would work since it is my most important app. The TS app is in my Applications folder and I have SIP completely disabled. Please help.

I had this issue also (not able to add desktops, says I already have 16, when in reality I had 1). I originally had the app in my User > Applications folder. I read through this thread, and someone earlier mentioned that putting the app in Macintosh HD > Applications folder fixed the problem. I moved the app to that folder, and the issue was immediately fixed. (Might require you quitting TotalSpaces and restarting).

I have used Totalspaces2 for ages. I try to run it on Big Sur and it just won’t add Windows. I see lots o reports about this. I don’t know if this is compatible.

Smartbook with m1

I did this and out doesn’t work on an m1.

I’m having this issue - just upgraded to Big Sur today. Tried uninstall and reinstall, the whole bit. The app is in the “main” Applications folder (not the Applications folder within my user folder).

Has anyone figured out how to get it working again?

1 Like

Also, is there a link to a concise set of instructions on how to COMPLETELY remove TS2 (all prefs, etc.?)

Ok so I fixed my own problem by going back to one of my old posts :).

If you are having this problem, please see my detailed instructions here:

Hi there. using Mac 11.1 with 6 desktops and 3 fullscreen tabs in TotalSpaces2 2.9.6. Love it. no big problems with it like those above, however I am having some strange behavior occur. Whenever I go to save something from another application into Finder, say a document in Microsoft Word or a pdf downloaded from Chrome, the display goes crazy. It goes back and forth rapidly between the desktop I’m on and main desktop 1, and I get caught/frozen in the transition between display windows and/or most of the screen is black except the space where finder popup should be (the popup is opaque). I think what is happening is TotalSpaces thinks it needs to change displays when it really doesn’t. The only way I have found for getting out of it is switching back to my main display 1 via keyboard shortcut. Attempting other nearby TotalSpaces-made desktops does the transition, but that desktop is also frozen. Thankfully I can still save files using my Touchbar, but I can’t choose where they go anymore. Thanks in advance for help.

It sounds like there is some confusion about which space should be active - I’ve seen this kind of thing happen occasionally when there are multiple windows of the same app on different spaces, particularly large slower apps like Word. I think it’s a timing issue, and I’m sorry to hear about it. I don’t think we know how to solve it, other than it might help to check your app assignments (assigned apps that are assigned to a particular desktop might cause problems if they have windows that have been moved to other desktops).

Thanks for your help. Turns out removing word and chrome from the assigned app list seems to work.

Hi Stephen ,
New problem appear on Big Sur bêta 11.3 (20E5172i) with TotalSpaces V2.9.6.
It’s impossible to move between different spaces , if i click on directly on the grid ,i stay on the same space where the app as started. Same trouble with shortcut’s not possible to select other space.
i love this app
Thank you, Stephen

Hi,
I have a potential fix: please try the latest https://downloads.binaryage.com/TotalSpaces2-2.9.7.dmg

1 Like

Seems to be working fine for me now on the latest Big Sur beta. :crossed_fingers:t3:

Thanks!