TotalSpaces support on MacOS 11 Big Sur

Been using v2.9.8 on BIg Sur 11.2.3 just fine for a while now, but just today I rebooted my Mac and TS isn’t working. In Preferences->Layout, I see no grid in the window, and can’t add rows or columns, and under “For this grid” it says I need 16 desktops (I usually have a 3x3 grid).

I checked SIP and it’s still disabled. Are there any troubleshooting / diagnostic steps I can take to help figure out what’s happening?

1 Like

I cannot remember which account I used to purchase this software, but the update above worked - and it’s beautiful. Thank you for making this software available. I was happy to find it after Mac abandoned spaces for the full screen apps. This works the way my brain does.

After upgrading to Big Sur on a non-critical laptop, I found this thread, which immediately solved the issue. Huge fan of both TotalSpaces and TotalFinder. Thank you.

Works great on Big Sur 11.3, updated this afternoon! :pray:

Updating to macOS 11.3 today broke Total Spaces and I can confirm that the above 2.9.8 package fixed it. Probably want to get that out to stable ASAP. Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Upgraded to 11.3.1 yesterday and can confirm TS2 is working via the 2.9.8 package. Thanks Stephen!

1 Like

@stephen - I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, it’s been dead for me since Big Sur 11.2.3 on TS 2.9.8. I just tried upgrading to 11.3.1 and reinstalling 2.9.8, and it’s still not showing anything in the Preferences for the grid. I can’t add rows / columns, it shows no spaces, and says the “16 desktop limit” message when I try to add anything.

Are there any diagnostics I can run or send you that can help? Totally dead in the water, and TS is just so hard to live without these days!

Please let me know what I can do to help, anything at all!

I confirm what @tomjwatson and @DynamicDaddio experienced. I ran the updater to Big Sur 11.3.1 on my early 2015 MacBook Air (11") which is a sandbox machine. TS2 and Mission Control both went bonkers. Fortunately, I read about the TS2 2.9.8 release, so I downloaded it and installed it. Everything is working again.

(I also mentioned earlier that I’d bought a M1 MacBook Pro and now I feel lost with TS. I’m now eagerly waiting for TS3!

I am having issues with adding desktops in TS 2.9.8 and OS 11.3.1 much like others mention here. This only happened after I removed my desktops I had previously. As you can see in screenshots, I can see the layout grid with desktop 1 and any number of fullscreened apps. However, I get the desktop creation error when I add desktops and for some reason only the unused columns remain, rows vanish? I don’t need a second desktop right now but I thought I would try it since the original issue I wanted to fix was that chrome opened all my minimized windows on desktop 1 if I changed spaces between fullscreened chrome windows. I think that’s fixed now, after trying codingvirtual’s uninstall and reinstall instructions (minus the sudo mount -uw step since it didn’t work and I didn’t have the file he removed in the subsequent step). creating desktops still fails after reinstall.

I upgraded to Big Sur 11.4 today and it broke Total Spaces. I tried rebooting to recovery, making sure SIP is off, and then reinstalling 2.9.8, but no luck.

If I open Total Spaces preferences, the layout tab doesn’t show any desktops, and claims “you need 16 desktops, you have 16 desktops”, but I really have 9 desktops. If I try to add or remove rows or columns I get the “Could not create all requested desktops. The system limit is 16 (plus specials)” message.

I also cannot navigate between desktops using my hot keys.

Please let me know if I can fix this, thanks!

1 Like

Me too.
Layout setting is not working…

1 Like

I have seen the same problem and I have found a work around.

The trick is that you open up mission control and keep adding spaces through mission control. In my case I had two rows of 3 and wanted to add a 3rd row of 3. It didn’t work. I then thought remove one row and then add it again. Maybe the application is confused. Guess what after that I was limited to 3. Only after I increased by #screens to 9 in mission control I could configure TotalSpaces again.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately this did not solve the issue for me. I think there is a deeper problem, potentially with system permissions not being set properly.

It I quit TotalSpaces2 and then run it again, and if I do not try to open up Preferences right away, I get the following message,

Opening up System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Privacy / Automation, I find that Dock control permissions are already checked,

I tried unchecking it, rechecking it. This had no effect on being able to create new spaces or navigate between spaces using TotalSpaces2.

If I quit and restart TotalSpaces2 and immediately open Preferences, I typically do not get the “failed to start” permissions message. But I find exactly what @takets posted,

Using Mission Control to create or delete spaces has no effect. Using the + or - Row buttons has no effect, and using the + Columns button has no effect. However, if I hit the - Columns button a few times (2 or 3), TotalSpaces2 becomes unresponsive and has to be killed with Force Quit.

Weirdly, if I restart TotalSpace2 after Force Quit, it changes, so now Preferences shows,

TotalSpaces2 now thinks there are zero desktops somehow. The + (-) Rows button makes new boxes appear (disappear) in the Preferences window, and the counter increases (decreases). But clicking “Add desktops” results in the “system limit is 16” message. The +/- Columns buttons still do nothing, and - button no longer causes the program to hang. The Mission Control trick still doesn’t work for me though.

If I click on the “1” window in Preferences after Force Quit, I can make the needed desktops counter go negative,

Seems like I have a serious incompatibility issue after the 11.4 update.

1 Like

I’ve run into the same thing, upgraded to 11.5.1 and this is the same, exact behavior I’m getting. There is no number in the menubar icon, and I have been able to replicate the “negative desktops” by clicking on the single pane. I can make rows go up and down at some points, but never columns.

I removed the .plist and rebooted, I saw setting reset but the behavior persisted. So I don’t really know what to do. :confused:

I was finally able to figure out a way to make TS2 work on BigSur 11.5. I followed the detailed steps from the posts, and maybe one of them helped trigger the state. The final piece that I needed was to put the TotalSpaces2.app into the /Applications folder, which was also buried on one of the posts.

I am currently using Big Sur 11.5.2 and TotalSpaces2 does not work properly.
I’m also working on disabling SIP and placing TotalSpaces2.app in Applications.
Does anyone know anything about this?

I just upgraded to BigSur at the last minute prior to the Monterey release - and after the upgrade I’m happy to report TotalSpaces is working just fine for me. I do not see any issues or degradation of functionality.

I’m on TotalSpaces2 v2.9.9., BigSur 11.6 and have a 2013 MacBook Pro (Intel i7).

If anything changes, I’ll report back.

I ran into the same problem, but I’ve finally solved it, so I’ll write it here.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
Mac OS : Big Sur 11.6.1
Totalspaces : 2.9.9

In “Layout” tab of “Preferences”, the grid was not displayed like the following image, unable to setup.

I couldn’t solve it by updating the .plist file or operating the + or - buttons.

After all, I was able to get it to work when I turned off the “Displays have separate Spaces” check in the “Mission Control” in the “System Preferences”.

I hope it will help people who have the same problem!