TotalSpaces2 2.9.9 fails to start on Catalina 10.15.7 after security update

Installed the latest security update yesterday, and TotalSpaces2 failed to start. Installed the latest version (2.9.9), disabled SIP, still failing. Any workaround for this?

3 Likes

I am also experiencing this problem after installing the Security Update 2021-003 Catalina.

The installation does not finish with this error:

TotalSpaces2 failed to install correctly.
Please try again or contact support.
Plugin could not be installed, not found

SIP is disabled

Same here. To be precise, for me it now keeps invisibly crashing whenever I try to switch spaces. Any ideas? This app is essential to my workflow, and I completely regret installing the latest security update.

It’s extremely irritating how Apple manages to break so many things on every single update, even on completely minor ones like this… I truly pity macOS devs, who need to keep adapting their apps to support each new version. Windows devs sure as heck never have to deal with things like this.

I found a fix some days ago, that may or may not have been the cause behind the problem to begin with. For me, I needed to move the app to the Applications folder directly (rather than any embedded subfolder or other location on your hard drive, which is where I had it previously), removed the .plist configuration file (i.e., reset the app settings), rebooted, and upon restart it began working fine again. (The latter two steps might not even be necessary, since exclusively they hadn’t worked before, but I didn’t get to test it in that way.) Hope this helps anybody else with the same issue.

Not sure if this is the cause, but I do hope you can add support for running the app from any folder, since I do remember experiencing wonky behavior in the past when I had it in a subfolder. I guess for now I’ll have to make do with a simple app shortcut in my subfolder instead.