Trouble launching / Damaged file

Hi,

My TotalFinder v1.9.3 still running on Yosemite 10.10.5 will not start up anylonger : Apple Events cannot be delivered.
After trying some terminal commands I read from the forum, nothing works. So I decide to update …

I downloaded the version 1.10.10 but when I try to install on Yosemite : the installation stops, reporting a damaged file …

The same file launched from my other Mac on High Sierra results in a fine installation.

Any idea on why I cannot launch v1.9.3 or install the newer v1.10.10 on my Yosemite 10.10.5 ?

Thanks

Francis

Hmm, this is interesting. Thanks for reporting your OS versions. I got some similar reports but people never mentioned their macOS versions so I assumed this must be an issue with our CDN. That it cached a corrupted file for some regions.

Let me try to download and test it under Yosemite to confirm this theory.

Ok, I can confirm the problem. The DMG for TotalFinder 1.10.10 is somehow incompatible with Yosemite (macOS 10.10). But it works for El Capitan (macOS 10.11) and above.

I just looked at the installer script history and it is my fault. On Sep 16, 2017 I had some issues with DMG creation under High Sierra and changed hdiutil create parameters. And newly I set it to build the DMG with -format ULFO instead of original -format UDBZ.

Here is an excerpt from the hdiutil man page:

ULFO - UDIF lzfse-compressed image (OS X 10.11+ only)
UDBZ - UDIF bzip2-compressed image (Mac OS X 10.4+ only)

My idea probably was that new TotalFinder DMG archives should be installed only on machines with macOS 10.11 and higher, according to TotalFinder compatibility list:
https://totalfinder.binaryage.com/compatibility

For Yosemite you should be downloading 1.9.3 DMG. Newer versions will refuse to install anyway.

I’m going to revert back to UDBZ format to prevent further confusion.