[Update Discussion] TotalFinder 1.15.1 for Apple Silicon and Intel — macOS 13, 12, 11, and 10.15

Thanks for chiming in on this. I’m hoping that someday @akemin_dayo will be able to consider this request.

I consider TF as dead since akemin_dayo isn’t responding anymore.
Paid a second time for nothing else than promises that don’t get fulfilled since.

I won’t get my money back nor a working version.
But those not trustworthy developers are everywhere.

Shame on you akemin_dayo. :-1:

Status regarding TotalFinder 1.16 (※ for macOS 14 Sonoma)

I would like to apologise for the fact that the release of TotalFinder 1.16 has still not happened yet.

There are still quite a few crashes (including some very strange edge cases…) that I haven’t fully solved yet, and I’ve been very busy this entire year of 2024 so far with many other obligations. Things have only started to calm down a bit now, so I haven’t had as much time to work on TotalFinder as I would have otherwise liked to.

I am still committed to bringing TotalFinder to macOS 14 Sonoma (and beyond) until a future theoretical point where it is no longer technically feasible to do so (which hopefully never comes, but that’s really up to Apple…). I started the TotalFinder port to Apple Silicon + future macOS versions because I myself have been a TotalFinder user since the 10.7 Lion days, and don’t want to stop using it.

Unfortunately, TotalFinder is something I can realistically only work on in what free time that I have, as much as I would like to finish it faster.

I may consider releasing a beta version of 1.16 for those that simply absolutely cannot wait to use TotalFinder on macOS 14, but I have apprehensions about doing so as releasing undercooked software (even in a beta state) feels wrong to me, especially for something that hooks into system-level components such as Finder. The last thing I want is for something to go horribly wrong with untested software like this.

Not sure how everyone else here feels about that, though.

In any case, sorry again for how long development has taken, but thank you for your continued interest and use of TotalFinder.

Regarding a theoretical SIP-compliant “TotalFinder Lite”

Unfortunately, pretty much every modification that TotalFinder applies is impossible to achieve with SIP enabled.

The reason for this is that Apple does not support the ability to modify the behaviour of system-level applications such as Finder without first disabling SIP.

Modifications made by macOS / iOS tweaks such as TotalFinder are done using a technique known as “code injection” — injecting your own, additional code that modifies existing code at runtime.

Because doing this modifies privileged system components with many private Apple entitlements(!), it is considered a security risk. Every time you install a macOS or iOS jailbreak tweak that modifies system components like this, you are trusting that the software developer of the tweaks you have installed are not doing anything malicious, and that the source in which you obtained the tweak has not tampered with it.

(※ That latter attack vector is why TotalFinder performs code signature validation, and disables itself if it is tampered with. It’s not a perfect solution, but it is an additional hurdle to cross for any malicious people. Please make sure you always get TotalFinder and any other macOS / iOS tweaks from the official source!)

You may be able to replicate certain features of TotalFinder using things like key macros or BetterTouchTool, but in the end, anything that alters the behaviour or appearance of the Finder outside of the very few ways that Apple allows you to (※ for instance, Google Drive or Dropbox icons) is pretty much impossible.

I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

Regarding library validation

Could’ve sworn I addressed this particular enquiry in a reply before, but I suppose I either forgot to do so or otherwise somehow never sent it.

In any case, TotalFinder disables library validation just like XtraFinder does. It’s just the case that TotalFinder allows this to be achieved with one simply button press when it shows a prompt to the user, instead of making you manually paste a command into the Terminal.

3 Likes

@Nurb_2Kea

TotalFinder is no longer paid software and is now available for free (even for older versions!) — you did not have to pay for it in 2023, unless if you simply wanted to donate to support development.

I actually didn’t originally intend on even having my donation addresses appear here at all, as I feel that TotalFinder is still mostly Antonin’s software, so asking for donations felt wrong — I only posted the relevant addresses here in response to people requesting it.

If you would like a refund of your donation, please send me a DM (or an email to karen@akemi.ai) with your PayPal email address, as I am unable to see what email address you used to originally send it in 2023.

Apologies if the slow progress on TotalFinder 1.16 has inconvenienced you.

I can understand the frustration of having to wait for a compatible version of TF—software which we all find irreplaceable.

Unfortunately, some of that frustration has been directed at @akemin_dayo, who has done nothing but keeping TF alive!

To each their own regarding payment/donations, but I would gladly pay a fourth time, even if that only means keeping the hope alive :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

It’s a calm definition!

Thank you for the update and for your very gracious reply to @Nurb_2Kea who doesn’t understand that this is a free-time side effort for you. The rest of us understand and very much appreciate whatever time you can spend. I do think that you should accept donations or even charge for TF since your time and effort shouldn’t go unrewarded.

I was hoping that whatever tweaks that Dropbox uses to modify Finder appearance could be applied for some of the more basic TF functionality. But not being a developer, I don’t have the full picture. Thank you for that clarification.

Maybe before judging you should know the background.
I asked Antonin several times to let me take care of TF development and developer.
Then akemin_dayo took over and here we are at this state now.

So since the last working version and now, how many water ran down the hill?
No wonder I’m not happy when reading several times mostly the same expression.