TotalFinder alternatives

Tried Path Finder again today and the discount worked this time.

The title of this discussion is an oxymoron. There are NO alternatives to TF :slight_smile:

I came to TF after trying out all the alternatives listed here and found them all wanting in one way or another. Iā€™d be happy to PAY the full price of TF again just to have the following features in my file manager:

1. Columns that resize properly
  2. Colour labels that are not dots
  3. Dual pane tabs
  4. Light footprint

I used Forklift for a long time and then lost patience with the way it handled (01). I used PathFinder and lost patience with the way it handled (02). I donā€™t understand how any of the others listed on this discussion are any better.

I would strongly urge you to consider a different avatar for TF that does not use the code injection model (though I completely understand why you used it). I am reluctant to turn off SIP, though I am sorely tempted - such is the pain of TF-separation!

Thanks for your fantastic work on this app. I hope youā€™ll be able to make it work again (without code injection!).

Can confirm that as of right now, the discount on Pathfinder using coupon code ā€œTOTALFINDERā€ is still working.

Based on the recommendation / announcement in (if I remember correctly) one of the TF blog posts, I purchased Commander One. I too am dissatisfied with the non-standard shortcuts, and in general it is very frustrating to try to learn any of these new programs. I have been a loyal TotalFinder user ever since I purchased it (and Pathfinder) several years ago. Pathfinder fell by the wayside but TF has been my constant helper.

I am extremely disappointed but I understand what is happening and am striving to accept it. The information in this thread which compares and contrasts the different alternative apps and combinations of apps ā€¦ itā€™s great but again I have limited time / focus available.

Trying to comprehend everything quickly is not happening. I would really welcome some kind of coherent side by side comparisons / evaluations. If anyone is able to take the time to make something of that sort, I would be very appreciative of it.

Antonin, and everyone else ā€˜listeningā€™;

The 50% discount on Path Finder 7 still works as of now (Sunday, Nov. 7, 15 at 00:20).

I have just purchased a copy through my tears at the battle of TF vs. SIP.
Antonin and team members, a major Thank You for all that you have done and still do!

When BinaryAge develops something new or Kickstarters something, please let us all know, for you have incurred loyalty from your customer treatment and hard work!

Best wishes for the futureā€¦
Kevin

Thank you for all the work on TotalFinder over the years. It has been an incredibly useful, and indeed critical, tool for me and it is really unfortunate it is effectively coming to an end. But I understand.

At any rate I tried several of the alternatives mentioned and I finally settled on PathFinder. It is taking a little getting used to, but from my perspective it is the most suitable alternative to the wonderful TotalFinder.

Thanks again.

Iā€™d just like to add my praise for the work youā€™ve done for TotalFinder. Ever since Apple removed whole-row highlighting of labels in Finder, I have seeked an alternative and I was glad to have found this. In fact thatā€™s the only feature I use TotalFinder for.

Iā€™m sad to see it go but at least for now I can turn SIP off in order to get this deal-breaker feature or me, because I need important files in a list view to be noticeably highlighted when I scroll quickly through a folder.

You can Merge by holding the āŒ˜ key and dragging/dropping.

Tried the Path Finder coupon today, says it has expired.

Havenā€™t tried it yet (have been using Path Finder) so am not sure if itā€™s a viable alternative, but just a quick heads up that Commander One PRO is 95% off on Mac App Store until 28th Nov. Only US$0.99!

Ah! Iā€™ve loved with TotalFinder for 3 years now and itā€™s sad to see it go.

The feature I used the most was the Visor Window. Having the finder slide up from the bottom of the screen by keystroke no matter which space Iā€™m viewing.

I did a quick look through the suggested apps and did see one that had this feature. Does any else know of an app that letā€™s you do this?
Thanks!

Thanks for everything!
The feature I love about TotalFinder is that it keeps everything in 1 window and multiple tabs (even when opening new folders by double-clicking them). Are there other alternatives with this function?

1 Like

after more than two years of putting up with the continuing bugginess of TotalFinder (crashes, sluggishness, renaming bugs, wrong window being drawn on top, keyboard command focus issues in dual-pane mode, buggy empty trash behaviour, etc.) finally pushed me over the edge and i have forced myself to adapt to Path Finder.

i miss TotalFinderā€™s minimalism and the way it injected itself into the OS X Finder, but the speed, stability (and extra features) of Path Finder so far are a very welcome changeā€¦

I am am sad to see Total Finder go. I looked at Commander One, but quite frankly that dual pane set-up looks frighteningly similar to the DOS and Norton Commander world that Iā€™ve left behind decades ago for Linux/ X-Window for a reason!

Totally agree with you ! Totalfinder is neat unobtrusive Finder enhancement that Apple should buy and incorporate into their product. I am running without SIP and still enjoying it but as Darwin said, it will be an inevitable death unless it is incorporated in the Finder. Tried other replacements but they force into a new way of working. Really appreciate the effort to keep it compatible and I agree, making it open source leaves it open to misuse (which is what Apple is trying to protect us from). Best outcome is show Darwin the money !!!

I agree with all of the positive comments on TotalFinder. Itā€™s an irreplaceable tool for me. Iā€™ve tried all the alternatives and none come close to TotalFinder. Plus, as said above, they force you to learn a new way of working, and a less efficient one, too. I would be willing to pay $50 for a version of TotalFinder that works under Appleā€™s new restrictions.

I am willing to pay up to $40 for a new TF myself.

@Recuerom, @Orladoech: thank you for your kind support, but Iā€™m unable to get around SIP. Theoretically it should not be possible. If there was a way how to get around SIP and inject my code into Finder, that would mean SIP is somewhat broken. And Apple would have to go and fix that problem. That is why I donā€™t want to invest my time into trying to find a ā€œholeā€ in the system. I would be just doing security analysis of the SIP system for Apple, for free :slight_smile:

I hear you and you make perfect sense, if TF code injection technique works with SIP then the latter is broken !! I am OK running without SIP and yielding the benefit of TF and I hope that you find the motivation to keep it compatible, even if it requires the occasional sensible upgrade fee. I would love to see Apple show you some cash and incorporate your flows into the Finder code.

@darwin What sort of work/time would be involved in writing a free-standing TotalFinder app that doesnā€™t rely upon OS X Finder? Would you be able to use any of your existing code?

You clearly have a flair for design with end users in mind that other apps arenā€™t managing to do as well as you do. It would be a shame for end users to lose your good work. An app that works as well as yours did/does is a rare thing (Lightflow on Android is another example of a, no doubt, simpler app that enhances operating system functionality in a way that others canā€™t match).

Could you team up with an existing developer to continue TotalFinder as a stand alone app?

I guess the hard work may not repay you in terms of money but maybe breaking free of OS X Finder will allow a new product to provide features that it previously couldnā€™t provide.

Do you think there is any chance of continuing work on TotalFinder as a new standalone app?

Can you not do something in Swift as a stand-alone app like PathFinder?

Id pay for that. Id like to give you my $, not them. I bought PathFinder7 and still am using TF w SIP disabled.

If not, then can you not continue to make updates as lots of people here are willing to disable SIP. SIP is Apples version of Windows UACā€¦ I always turn that off too. Only the oblivious leave it on, as they do no know the repercussions.