Can we help test Total Spaces 3 if we have Apple silicon?

Hi,
Did you heard of BetterDummy ?
I don’t know what they will reply but I added a feature suggestion to add Space/Screen management like TotalSpace. BetterDummy is a monitor organizer, maybe they will think this feature can be added as TotalSpace is going to die I think :frowning:

My post : Space/Screen management · Discussion #524 · waydabber/BetterDummy · GitHub

Best regards

@kevin39 I feel like this feature is out of scope for totalspaces, it has a very different function. Cool project though.

As you can see, my available time for this project has dwindled to zero, but I want to see it survive if it can. I’m willing to open source it if there is a some specific person I could trust to take over as maintainer. It’s written mainly in swift, some Objective C, and uses reverse engineered APIs.

6 Likes

Hi @stephen ,
Happy to see you are alive, that a good news, hope everything is fine on your side.

I think TotalSpace is very interesting. I contacted BetterDummy (a monitor manager), they answered be the app/desktop management is into their roadmap but once their current feature is stable. Maybe it’s a good start to contact them ? Maybe they will be happy to work with your sources ?

See Space/Screen management · Discussion #524 · waydabber/BetterDummy · GitHub

Anyway, I hope someone will continue your great job, thank for all your work.

1 Like

Hey Stephen,

I’d love see if I could somehow help maintain an OSS flavor of TS3. I actively maintain a wide variety of OSS projects - check out some of them at jkelleyrtp (Jon Kelley) · GitHub.

I’ve been working on reverse engineering the hidden/private ObjC APIs - my work is here at jkelleyrtp (Jon Kelley) · GitHub. My Swift isn’t as good as my Rust but I’m sure I could make it work.

If you were interested in doing a hybrid SaaS/OSS model (paid and OSS versions), I’m sure we could figure something out too.

Feel free to hit me up in DMs.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Ok good, I will be in touch

7 Likes

What a good news !

My installation worked fine but became unresponsive this morning. I had to kill TotalSpaces via the terminal.

TotalSpaces would not open after this. I restarted my machine and it still would not open. I have the same error as @harrison.

The solution did work for me, but TotalSpaces became unresponsive after only a few minutes of use. Restarting the machine again and I’m back to the same error posted.

This really needs to be fixed.

I’d be excited to contribute with PRs if it goes open source. :slight_smile:
I’m half decent at Swift, mostly coming from the iOS world.

2 Likes

Excellent news, thank you both!

Hello, those are good news!

I’m poping here to report that after buying the licence my TS3 started not moving windows from space to space.

Console app logs the following when trying to move a window:

error 10:13:43.469611+0200 TotalSpaces3 Failed to serialize property list: <private>.
error 10:13:43.469636+0200 TotalSpaces3 Cannot serialize plist

Great, will inform here when we have made progress with it.

9 Likes

I really hope an open-source version of TotalSpaces becomes available!

I’m posting to mention SpaceMan — see below.

My current set up:

I am using BetterTouchTool to define keys for switching spaces and moving windows between spaces and screens.

I’ve also found SpaceMan, which displays something in the macOS menu bar that shows which space is current. See Spaceman - A macOS app to view virtual desktops in the menu bar | Product Hunt

I’m still missing the idea of a grid, being able to move up and down the grid, and an overview of all spaces.

I’ve changed from 16 spaces in a 4x4 grid to 8 spaces (in a 2x4 grid, in my mind and with my keyboard shortcuts) because 16 spaces is too much for me without having an overview.

1 Like

@stephen, Thanks for the news, I know from personal experience that trying to find time for cleanup before a project goes open source is a difficult endeavour. While I know it feels wrong, I’d urge you to release the project as is (after removing sensitive credentials, if any) and leave the cleanup to the community. I’m a developer working on other languages (Go, primarily) but I’d be willing to learn Swift or ObjC to help maintain it, it is not a big deal.

5 Likes

I second @deanm’s statement. I’m another member of the community who would be happy to assist in the open source migration, be it cleanup or otherwise.

Adding on, in the past when I’ve handed off projects I’ve found documentation to be another area that takes a significant amount of time. To help expedite this process, I’ve occasionally taken to recording a few screencasts as I walk through the project. I’m able to document significantly more in less time it would take to write a traditional README. The videos can then be transcribed by the community, with an added bonus of accompanying screenshots to important points.

Regardless, Total Spaces is a significant part of my daily workflow, and I really appreciate all the work the team has put forth to create and maintain it. A very special thanks for you and the team’s hard work, @stephen!

2 Likes

Please guys go on with your initiative. Unfortunately I am not a Mac native developer, otherwise I would support you. But if you will publish you results somethere or create a sponsoring account somewhere, I am going to support you.

I’m really happy to hear it’ll be turned over to new developers who’ll run with the project.

I have a feature request - if it’s possible at all, I suspect it would be best implemented at the beginning states of wring the app because it would probably require the fundamental architecture work a particular way to accomplish this…so I’m writing this now, to whoever will be taking it over (@Jonathan_Kelley, @andreyrd @matthew, I may have missed some)

Now to the feature request.
I think a true 3D grid of spaces (i.e. 4x4x4, 64 total spaces) is inefficient and kinda stupid. What I’m proposing is a “Dynamic 3D”, or “2.5D” grid, it has all the benefits of a true 3D grid, but much more efficient and sensible. The gist is that you’d have your standard 2D grid, but for any space you choose, on the fly, you can add or remove more virtual spaces that you could cycle through with a keystroke.

My use case would be this - I have 16 spaces, which often isn’t enough. My “D” space (space 7) is where I do all my photo editing, and I like to have those applications expanded to use the full screen (but not actually “full screen” mode), so I’d like to be able to add a couple virtual spaces to my “D” space, one for Affinity Designer, one for Affinity Photo, and one for Lightroom…as an example. There are several spaces I’d do this with.

I’m including a screenshot of how the spaces would look, at least in principal.

The hard defined grid would remain whatever the user sets up, like it’s always been with TS, but when you’re on any space, you could: add (v)irtual-space, remove v-space, go to next v-space, go to previous v-space.

I have no idea if this idea is even possible, but I want to throw it out there. I’m curious if others would find this useful too.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2 Likes

Thanks for the support. I have already cleaned the repo and shared it privately for review. Will let you know here when there is more to share.

8 Likes

Edit: Refreshed the page and @stephen had responded.

I too am a developer thats interested in contributing to an open source totalspaces. Happy to be put on a private repo for review.

1 Like

I am really hoping that TS3 can take off. I’ve missed TS since I upgraded to the M1 MBA when it first came out. I’ve tried MacOS Spaces, but I find it really difficult to maneuver as easily as TS was. Will Stage Manager be an improvement? Difficult to tell, but I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like