Can we help test Total Spaces 3 if we have Apple silicon?

My Intel desktop is on Big Sur with TS2 as well… just patiently waiting.

You can setup a hot corner with Better Touch Tool to dispatch a custom keyboard shortcut, then listen for the same shortcut into TS3. It works well here ! Using something like “control + command + option + @”

1 Like

Hi,
Does someone know how to get off the “Bounce back” bug ?

I’m using 3-0.9.125.

1 Like

Solved : Disabled the option “When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application” in mission control.

2 Likes

Sweet baby Jesus, thank you

1 Like

Thank you, sir! You’re a scholar and a gentlemen. :+1:

Hi all, I got a weird bug with v0.9.125.
When quitting sleep mode on my M1 MBP, I got a screen copy of my main screen on my second screen when switching space. Restarting total space patches the issue. It’s not every time but reproducible very often. Thanks

I have had this same issue since v3 was released. Also, to make things worse, many windows, mostly browser based windows, will often forget their placement and stay stuck on the primary screen. I now have a little routine of always unplugging the secondary screen from the MBP before putting it to sleep. However, sometimes on reconnection (after waking the MBP) the same issue can occur. I have also found that if I don’t touch the keyboard or mouse after reconnecting the secondary screen until it is visible, then I don’t lose the window placements. But I still have to close and reopen TS3 to clear the issue you describe. A huge faff I know, but hoping we don’t have to wait too much longer for the guys who picked up TS3 to move us forward.

Is there any motion happening with the open source project?

I hereby pledge to donate $100 to Binary Age if they roll out a production version of Total Spaces 3. I’ve spent more on worse.

I used to joke that if TotalSpaces went away, I’d have to abandon my career as a software developer and go into something else, like construction or waste management. Now I’m too old to start a new career. Apple can’t be bothered to restore Lion’s Spaces.

Won’t you please help? Thanks!

4 Likes

I’m in for $500. Maybe we should start a campaign if Binary Age won’t open source the whole thing. My instincts is a community of hypercollaboration might possibly make short work of this. Alternatively…take my money, as they say.

3 Likes

I’m in for $500 too. As a developer for me TS is mandatory, still working on my old (and gold) Mbp 15" mid 2015 running Big Sur.
In the same desk, a brand new 16" M1 Max, very useful for video calls or, even better, as paperweight, very handy.
My skills are focused on backend / frontend web developing, so I guess are not the ones needed to help for this project, but as @bleeckerj said, take my f*****g money.
Thanks to all devs that’s working on this, If I can help I’m here.

1 Like

500$ for a fully-functional TS would be a no-brainer for me.

Like I said above, if I’m not paying via regular subscription, I don’t have any expectation that it will keep working over time.

1 Like

If you ever need to restart TotalSpace super quickly for any reason, I made this little bash script which is Raycast compatible (so really easy to trigger). It would be nice to be able to start it automatically when computer is going back from sleep, but no idea how to do that.

#!/bin/bash

# Restart Totalspace
#
# Required parameters:
# @raycast.schemaVersion 1
# @raycast.title Restart Totalspace
# @raycast.mode fullOutput
#
# Optional parameters:
# @raycast.icon 🤖
# @raycast.packageName Restart Totalspace

echo "Restarting totalspace ..."
killall TotalSpaces3 && sleep 0.2
open -a /Applications/TotalSpaces3.app
echo "Done"
1 Like

I’m using hammerspoon to automatically restart TS3 when waking up from sleep.

3 Likes

Hey Sam, would you mind sharing your lua script for this?

@webego Not sure this is the proper way, but it seems to work

wakeUpWatcher = nil
wakeUpWatcher = hs.caffeinate.watcher.new(function(eventType)    
    -- screensDidWake, systemDidWake, screensDidUnlock
    if eventType == hs.caffeinate.watcher.systemDidWake then        
        os.execute("killall TotalSpaces3 && sleep 1 && open -a /Applications/TotalSpaces3.app")
    end
end)
wakeUpWatcher:start()
3 Likes

Thanks for this, I’ll give it a whirl

I would also happily pay a large sum of money for a working TS3, specifically one without animations or delays. In the meantime, I’ve been using a tool called AltTab, which with some fiddling can recreate a decent view of all windows on one screen. However, I much prefer the method TS2 provides.

I’m curious around the state of the private repo that was mentioned back in May and if it’s still being reviewed/worked on. There’s clearly an active community that would be happy to contribute as this is a tool we’re all very passionate about.

Best as I can tell, there’s been no mention from BA about a repo.
Question to folks here: what does a world look like where we start from scratch as an open source project? Is there any technical magic to achieving what TS3 does that is beyond such an effort? I’ve built thing — omata.com — from soup to sauce including hardware, firmware, and software, but I have little insight into the windowing shenanigans on macOS, but this doesn’t feel out of reach, tbh.

1 Like