TotalSpaces on 10.14 Mojave layout not displaying

I just upgraded to 10.14 yesterday on my iMac connected with an additional external Thunderbolt Display and could not get the layout to show any desktops. I tried multiple restarts, disconnecting the external display, restarting TotalSpaces to no avail. Funny thing is, it works fine on my MacBook Pro connected to an external display.

The layout window just shows a black screen with no grid and clicking on the row and columns or “Add desktops” just gives me the error window “Could not create all requested desktops. The system limit is 16 (plus specials)”

It’s like it’s stuck on 16 desktops even though I technically only have 1.

I am also running the latest version of TotalSpaces2 2.7.5.

A hint to what might be wrong is every time I restart total spaces I get a notification saying TotalSpaces2 failed to start and to check the system preferences > security & privacy > Privacy > Automation to make sure it can control the Dock than restart. I have done this several times and verified it can do this.

Same here. Sometimes it doesn’t boot up at all ;-(

Thanks for the report. It seems that sometimes the dock component doesn’t find everything it needs, I will try to figure out why.

It’s going to take a bit more time to solve this, but I am working on it (we understand the issue, but haven’t found a suitable workaround yet).

This version fixes a few bugs, including, I hope, this issue.

http://downloads.binaryage.com/TotalSpaces2-2.7.6.dmg

Release notes here: https://totalspaces.binaryage.com/changes-beta

Thanks! Seems to work now!

Somehow it broke again on my iMac. I will send an email with the console log.

It does not. News?

I’m getting the same issue here, and it was working fine for over 2 weeks…
Any progress?

Just because I’m stubborn, I kept closing/reopening it, and all of a sudden, it worked!
Hope I do not have to restart my Mac anytime soon now… :slight_smile:

TotalSpaces is not working for me at all, and hasn´t for a while (10.14.3 Beta (18D32a) and several previous betas).
When I launch it I get the response about controlling the Dock in Automation:
47%20AM
I have this enabled.
When I open the Preferences/Layout it looks like this:

I can not add any rows or columns or desktops.
I have SIP disabled.
From reading the posts here I understand that TS is working for some on Mojave but I am obviously not one of the lucky one…

I just signed up for this forum because I have the same problem. I have the latest version and I just paid for a license. I have System Integrity disabled too for my Mojave iMac. This software worked fine for the first week or two.

Same here

This sofware doesn’t work well, I have to restart my laptop to avoid to have “16 desktops”.
I read the documentation and the behavoir is not like this have to be, I have several problems using 2 displays, sometime works and sometimes the grid makes what they want. Do you have a date for the lauch of a stable version?. Mojave 10.14.12

Seems to work again with the latest version 2.7.7

sorry I’m using the last version and this is not working same result

I have to re install mojave again because the app breaks my system, when installing the app my laptop could not be turned off and always used the power button to turn off the computer, I think the app is unstable.

Any updates on this? I have just purchased a licence, disabled SIP, installed the latest version (2.7.12) on Mojave (10.14.3).

I have all the same issues as above i.e. fails to start on login, Layout is blank, can’t create columns or rows, and can’t add Desktops (get the 16 max error and shows I have 0 desktops).

I purchased a new Mac Mini last week which forces me to run Mojave. I run two screens, and, as with others, Mojave broke TotalSpaces for me. The following seems to fix it…and I have no idea why!

There is a small, free app available from GitHub called WhichSpace. It is at version 0.2.4 and I don’t even know if it is being actively developed. Its sole purpose is to display the number of the current space in the menubar. That’s all it does. When this app is running TotalSpaces seems to function correctly.

WhichSpace can be found at: https://github.com/gechr/WhichSpace

Am I nuts? Would someone else try installing WhichSpace, see if it fixes their TotalSpaces issue, and then report back to this thread with their experience?

Had this issue as well. Very frustrating. But I found a way that solved it for me at least. Sharing it here in case it helps anyone else.

My assumption was that the configuration files for TotalSpaces had become corrupt. To fix that, I did the following steps:

1. I exited TotalSpaces
  2. rename the following file:
    /Users/UserName/Library/Preferences/com.binaryage.TotalSpaces2.plist
    Call it something like com.binaryage.TotalSpaces2_OLD.plist
  3. restart TotalSpaces
  4. Go into TotalSpaces preferences. You will need to:
    a) Layout:
    I like a 3x3 layout, but my layout had reset to the apple default
    of a single row (1x9).
    Reduce columns until you have the number you want. If you
    Have too few spaces, they’ll show up as red. Don’t worry, just
    increase rows until you have the layout you want.
    b) Hot Corners
    I needed to reset mine.

Everything else seemed to be as I originally had it, and TotalSpaces worked as it originally did.

This worked for me, but may not work for you. Hope it helps someone.

3 Likes