TotalSpaces support on MacOS 10.15 Catalina

Can’t confirm whether the latest version v2.7.12 works with Catalina or not because the OS itself still buggy and can’t grant the app access to Accessibility permission.

I assume it is still possible to TURN OFF SIP under 10.15 ??

1 Like

I assume so, but I haven’t been able to test anything quite yet. (And I’d be extremely surprised if 2.7.12 works without modification on 10.15.)

I’ll update here when I have more to tell.

2 Likes

Thank you Stephen !

Yeah, it was still off after the upgrade.

Well, they finally removed the dashboard.

You may try this version: https://downloads.binaryage.com/TotalSpaces2-2.8.0.dmg

Let me know if it works for you!

3 Likes

Works perfectly. Thanks Stephen as usual.

Thank you Stephen; I don’t know how I would use macOS without this piece of software! Do you have a Patreon or any other way we can show our continued support?

5 Likes

Many thx Stephen !

Not at the moment, but thanks for asking! We might consider something like that in the future.

1 Like

Hi Stephen, I’ve been trying to install that 280 version on macOS Catalina public preview 1, without success. TS2 can’t install components message.
Is there a trick to get it done? SIP is indeed disabled.
Thx for your insight ?
Best, C

Stephen, I have installed and run successfully TotalFinder 1.12.0 on Catalina, but TotalSpaces2 2.8 fails with this message: “TotalSpaces2 failed to install correctly. Please try again or contact support. Error moving OSAX into place”.
If it’s useful, in another computer still running Mojave both newer versions of TotalFinder and TotalSpaces2 work perfectly well.
Is there something I can do to force TotalSpaces to run in Catalina OS? Thank you.

Hi Stephen,
I was able to install TS2 on macOS Catalina beta 3 (released yesterday night).
But:

• I can’t add desktops (tried several number sets)
  • I was wondering why the app wants to control the keyboard ?
    It looks like TS2 will be able to work after a few tweaks from your side ?
    Best. C

It’s indeed probably pretty small tweaks. Adding desktops was broken in beta 2 I think, but nobody noticed :slight_smile:

Oh, and regarding the installation issue, I should have a fix for that too.

Please try https://downloads.binaryage.com/TotalSpaces2-2.8.1.dmg

There are a few changes around loading and such that could still have bugs, please let me know if it works ok.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to answer - the app needs the keyboard permission so that the global hotkeys can work.

Thank you, Stephen, for the effort. Unfortunately 2.8.1 doesn’t work either, although the error message is slightly different: “TotalSpaces2 failed to install correctly. Please try again or contact support. OSAX not found in TotalSpaces2.app; it might be damaged”. Previously it was that OSAX couldn’t be moved into place, now that it cannot be found. Hope this is useful. Cheers!

I’ll investigate that, thanks.

Had same issues here, with same error messages. Couldn’t get 2.8.1 to work at all, but 2.8.0 seems to work fine now when combining the tips from the other thread.

In short:

1. make sure that SIP is off.
    Unlike before, this still does not mount protected parts of the file system into read-write mode by default. So there is one more step.

2. Run: sudo mount -uw /
    This will remount your filesystem with write permissions until restart. This should allow TotalSpaces (and any other relevant app) to install things into /system or wherever else SIP protects.

Credit goes to @sercos

1 Like