Microsoft Word / Exce / PowerPointl (2011) not changing spaces properly

I have a screen recording of the glitch. I can send you that of post a link to it if that helps.

That might be helpful - I can’t seem to be able to reproduce this at the moment - moving windows works normally for me at the moment.

No problem. Here are two examples of what both of my computers do with office apps and TotalSpaces. PowerPoint is the most consistent with this on my computer, but I’ve had it happen with all of my Office apps.

I have the grid overlay as my bottom left hot corner. I changed spaces using TotalSpaces as well as Mission Control, to illustrate that it’s a TotalSpaces problem and not an Office problem.

Example 1

Example 2

Hope that helps. This is fresh off of a restart of the computer (an end of year 2013 iMac). Restarted Ppt several times with the same glitch happening.

Thanks. Clearly part of the system thinks that window is still on the space you moved it from.

I will need to investigate why that could be. It’s very annoying that I can’t reproduce this, but I’ll try some more and I’ll have a good look at the code and see if I can find a possible resolution.

Thanks so much!

I hope that it’s fixed in this version:

http://downloads.binaryage.com/TotalSpaces2-2.1.8.zip

Please could you install it and verify?

Thanks!

Hi Stephen,

I just downloaded and tried the new version. Sorry to say, PowerPoint is still jumping back and forth between windows.

Kevin

Oh, that’s a blow.

I found I was able to reproduce the issue, and I found a way to fix it with this update. At least it’s fixed on my system. There must be a further problem of some sort.

I’d like to at least check that this install worked correctly - any chance you could Console.app - when TotalSpaces2 starts it should say something like this:

26/04/14 21:54:46,356 Dock[45615]: [TotalSpaces] FastSwitch2 © 2011-2014 Switchstep is association with BinaryAge
26/04/14 21:54:46,356 Dock[45615]: [TotalSpaces] FastSwitch2 is being initialized
26/04/14 21:54:46,357 Dock[45615]: [TotalSpaces] Mavericks detected
26/04/14 21:54:46,371 Dock[45615]: [TotalSpaces] FastSwitch2 ready v2.1.8

This would confirm that the correct version is being installed.

Hi Stephen,

Yup, that’s exactly the output I get when I restart the application. Let’s also see if the update fixed Maxine’s problems.

Kevin

HI Kevin,

I’m pretty much doing the exact same thing as in the videos. And my changes appear to have fixed this on my machine.

Are you using the move current window hotkeys to trigger the problem? (works ok for me, but this is using a different code path in the app).

I installed the update.

When I only had one blank Ppt open, it was actually working perfectly. As soon as I opened one that had content in it, though, it started doing the same thing as before. I checked the console output, and it matches what you posted.

I also had another glitch when I updated it. This cleared up on its own, but when I first opened TotalSpaces after the install, it was glitching in how it detected my spaces. It wasn’t displaying my grid in settings or letting me add or subtract rows or columns. The menu icon also didn’t have a number in it. That random error cleared up after a couple of times restarting TotalSpaces, but I figured I’d let you know about it.

There were two bugs in the handling of these windows it seems, I’ll try to fix the second one today.

Thanks for the info on TS not recognising your desktops at first - I’ll look into that.

I find that when I have two powerpoints open, and each on a separate space, then whenever I change to a space that has a powerpoint open (from a space without any ppt), the system instantly switches to the other powerpoint (the one I didn’t want to go to).

The problem is, OSX does this even without TotalSpaces running. If I select a space in Mission control, or swipe to get to one that has a ppt on it, the system instantly switches to the other one.

I think what’s happening is that each powerpoint window is being activated in turn, and each activation causes a space switch.

These switches come from the system. Given that I can’t usually ignore system requested space changes (eg from clicking an app on the dock, or cmd-tab), it makes it hard to determine when to ignore and when not to.

Do you confirm the same behaviour as I see (even without TS running)?

Hi Stephen,

I can confirm that even without Total Spaces running OSX randomly jumps between spaces. Like you said, seems like an activation issue. Too bad Apple couldn’t have figured out how to properly handle the Microsoft Office Suite applications. No possible workaround in Total Spaces? If possible this would be another great benefit of using Total Spaces.

All the best,
Kevin

@Maxine I believe the glitch where TS would not detect the spaces has been fixed in 2.1.9 - it would be really great if you could check that it’s ok for you:

http://downloads.binaryage.com/TotalSpaces2-2.1.9.zip

@kduff​123 The only thing I can think of is to somehow disallow fast space changes when the app demanding them is a Microsoft one.

Internally the timing here is very tricky though. I’ll have a play with it and let you know if I get something workable.

Update: Another user found 2.1.9 to still exhibit the problem in some circumstances.

Try this: http://downloads.binaryage.com/TotalSpaces2-2.1.10.zip

I’ve never had problems without going through the TotalSpaces grid. In my first video from post #12, you should be able to see that the problem only happens when I go through TotalSpaces. Going through Mission Control causes no problems.

I installed 2.1.10. I don’t know if it fixed the problem. Last time it presented, it just happened for about 10 minutes before sorting itself out.

I can say that I didn’t have issues this time when running TotalSpaces after the install, so if that’s all you need to confirm it works now, great! Since it fixed itself before and I couldn’t get it to repeat what it was doing, that’s as much as I can help, sadly.

Thank you Maxine, I think it is fixed, I appreciate the help.

I will also continue to look at finding a way for the MS Office apps to behave better if I can.

I have 2.6.12, and I have what seems like the same problem.
In extreem circumstances (like you click on the dock icon to focus the app, which happens to be in a different window), I get a fantastic psychedelic sort of flipping between the windows, which continues until either my brain explodes, or a click on a different app in a different window and refocus to that app…

Will moving to high sierra help?

Cheers
Mark.